Balderton was opened in 1901 as a local station on the GWR's
main line to the north on the section between Chester General
and Wrexham General. The station would have been served by local
services between the two towns whilst London to Birkenhead expresses
would have thundered through.
Balderton was located at a level crossing just to the east of
the nearby village. It would have consisted of two platforms
with fairly limited facilities. The station closed to passengers
Today this former main line that saw Birkenhead to London Paddington
expresses is a single track shadow of its former self.
To see the other
stations on the Chester General - Wrexham General line click
on the station name: Rhosrobin