Notes: The station was situated on the Grand Junction Railway
which opened between Crewe and Chester on 1.10.1840. It is
assumed to have opened with the line in 1840 although there
are no detailed timetables until June 1842; it was originally
called Highwayside but had been renamed Calveley by 1845.
Calverley had two platforms with the main facilities being
located on the Crewe bound platform. Its platforms stretched
under the A49 road bridge. The station would have been served
by local services and some longer distance trains. The Shropshire
Union Canal runs close to the station on its south side and
warehouse facilities were provided for the transfer of goods.
The station closed to passengers on 7.3.1960 with its goods
service maintained until 2.11.1964. After that date a private
siding remained in use.
Today the line remains busy with local and long distance services
and the Chester bound platform can still be clearly seen.
A small section of the Crewe platform ramp at the east end
can also be seen.
To see other stations on the
Crewe - Chester line click on the station name: Worleston,
Castle & Tarporley, Tattenhall,
& Waverton 2nd.