Station Name: CULLERCOATS (First site)

[Source: Alan Young]

Date opened: 27.6.1864
Location: Housing in Sedbergh Road now occupies the station site
Company on opening: Blyth & Tyne Railway
Date closed to passengers: 3.7.1882
Date closed completely: 3.7.1882
Company on closing:

North Eastern Railway

Present state: Demolished
County: Northumberland
OS Grid Ref: NZ355709
Date of visit:

23.5.2012

Note: The station was inconveniently situated over ½-mile inland from the coastal fishing village of Cullercoats. It closed when the railway was re-routed to be closer to the coast. No photographs have been traced of this station.

BRIEF HISTORY OF BLYTH & TYNE RAILWAY (Hartley-Monkseaton ‘Avenue Branch’; Monkseaton / Whitley Bay / Tynemouth area)

The southern end of the Blyth & Tyne Railway has a complicated history. Until 1861 there was a single route south from Blyth and Seghill through Prospect Hill to Percy Main, with a terminus adjacent to the NER station. However that year a new branch was opened, following the route of the former Whitley Waggonway, extending from Hartley to Tynemouth. It should be noted that this included the stretch to what is now Monkseaton, which was to be known
as the ‘Avenue Branch’, and that the line beyond to Tynemouth was half a mile inland of the present day Monkseaton – Tynemouth Metro line.

At the Tynemouth end the original terminus was quickly replaced with a new one on a short branch which curved south-eastwards, and that in turn closed when its branch was extended to a third terminus, which adjoined the 1847 Tynemouth terminus of what had been the Newcastle & North Shields Railway. These developments are shown on the series of accompanying maps.

In 1864 the Blyth & Tyne reached Newcastle, with its terminus at New Bridge Street. This was achieved by diverting trains onto a new line just south of Holywell, through Backworth, Benton, and Jesmond. From Backworth a new line was opened to join the 1861 Whitley (Monkseaton) to Tynemouth route. Trains could now travel on the B&T from Newcastle (New Bridge Street) to Tynemouth, making the Holywell – Prospect Hill – Percy Main route, and the Avenue Branch between Hartley and Whitley (Monkseaton) redundant. These two lines closed in June 1864 on the day when the Newcastle – Tynemouth service was inaugurated. In June 1904 the Avenue Branch reopened to passenger traffic.

In 1874 the B&T was absorbed by the NER, and the opportunity was taken to reorganise the railway routes in the Monkseaton / Whitley / Tynemouth area. With the growth of housing and holidaymaking on the coast the ‘inland’ route from Monkseaton to North Shields was superseded in 1882 by one within sight of the sea, and the two formerly competing termini at Tynemouth were replaced with a splendid new through station. This created the coastal section of the familiar Coast Circle and Metro route, although there were to be realignments at Whitley Bay in 1910 and Monkseaton in 1915 where new, larger stations were built.

Click here for a list of sources and a Blyth & Tyne bibliography

Blyth & Tyne timetable from CJ Dean. Route map drawn by Alan Young.

To see other stations on the Blyth & Tyne Railway Avenue branch click on the station name: The Avenue, Dairy House, Monkseaton (1st site), Whitley, Tynemouth (1st site), North Shields (B & T) & Tynemouth (3rd site)

See also Seaton Sluice and the unopened Collywell Bay branch: Brierdene & Collywell Bay

See also
West Monkseaton, Monkseaton (2nd site), Whitley Bay (1st site), Whitley Bay (2nd site), Cullercoats (2nd site) & Tynemouth (4th site)

See also
Tynemouth (Newcastle & Berwick terminus)


Looking south-east at the site of the first Cullercoats station in May 2012.
Photo by Roy Lambeth



1865 1:10560 OS Map. The original alignment of the Whitley – Tynemouth line was used by passenger trains from 1861 until the new route was opened, closer to the coast, in 1882. The 1st station is shown to have a building east of the tracks and to possess a single siding. Road access is only from the east. Its inconvenient site for the coastal village of Cullercoats can readily be appreciated.


1897 1:2,500 OS Map. The ‘inland’ railway route between Whitley and Tynemouth was closed to passengers in 1882 and abandoned, except at its northern and southern ends where goods facilities operated. The approach road to Cullercoats (1st) is still in place, but the station has gone, and the railway has been removed.

1955 1:2,500 OS Map. The site of the former railway and Cullercoats (1st) station is today occupied by housing, but it retained its rural character as late as 1955. The approach road is no longer there on this map, but the former railway route and site of the station can still be discerned.


 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]




Last updated: Wednesday, 17-May-2017 08:26:57 BST
© 1998-2012 Disused Stations