Station Name: FORYD

[Source: Paul Wright]

Date opened: 5.10.1858
Location: East from the end of Park Avenue
Company on opening: Vale of Clwyd Railway
Date closed to passengers: 20.4.1885
Date closed completely: 20.4.1885
Company on closing: London & North Western Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Flintshire
OS Grid Ref: SH995798
Date of visit: 10.5.2009

Notes: Foryd Station was opened on the 5th October 1858 as part of the Vale of Clywd Railway which ran from a connection to the Chester and Holyhead Railway, to the west of Rhyl, to Denbigh. Foryd was the first station out of Rhyl. The Vale of Clywd line was a single track route but passing places were provided at intermediate stations. An extension of the line from a point just to the south of the Foryd Station, to Foryd Pier was opened in August 1864. The junction which was controlled by a signalbox was named Foryd Junction.

Foryd Station was provided with one platform and after closure it was provided with a loop so that trains could pass. The station was provided a brick built two storey building which provided the usual facilities. The building was located on the west side of the line. At the time of opening Foryd Station was served by four trains per day running between Rhyl and Denbigh. Even after the opening of the extension to Foryd Pier in 1864 the pattern of services remained unaltered as, although a station was provided at Foryd Pier regular passenger services never used it.

In 1864 the LNWR assumed control of the Vale of Clwyd Railway and on the 15th July 1867 they absorbed it. In 1869 a line was opened by the Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen Railway from Denbigh to Corwen. This new line made an end on connection with the Vale of Clwyd Railway. From the opening of the line some services ran from Rhyl to Corwen served Foryd. However most passenger trains still ran only between Rhyl and Denbigh.

Being in a remote location Foryd Station was an early closure. The LNWR closed it to passenger services on the 20th April 1885. A new station called Foryd was opened by the LNWR on their Chester to Holyhead Main line. The site of the original Foryd station was still used as a passing point for trains though. Regular passenger services continued to pass through the station site until the 19th September 1955. Excursion trains continued to pass through the site of Rhuddlan station into the 1960 and goods services continued until the 1st March 1965 when the Vale of Clwyd Line was closed completely. It was lifted shortly afterwards.

Source: From Rhyl to Corwen by Rail by J.M.Dunn - Railway Magazine: February & March 1957

Further reading: Vale of Clwyd Railway: Rhyl to Denbigh Railway by Stephen Goodall.(1992)
ISBN 0 9520 1650 8

To see other stations on the Rhyl - Denbigh line click on the station name: Rhyl STILL OPEN, Foryd Pier, Rhuddlan, St. Asaph, Trefnant & Denbigh

Foryd Station looking south after closure
Photo from RM Casserley collection

The site of Foryd station looking south in May 2009. The hill that is evident in the distance on the picture above can also be seen in this view although it is mostly obscured by the trees. The bank in the middle right of the picture is possibly formed from the degraded remains of the station's platform
hoto by Paul Wright

Looking north away from the station site in May 2009 shows the site of the Junction between the Vale of Clwyd line and its Foryd Pier branch. The trackbed of the line to Rhyl can be seen climbing towards the Chester to Holyhead line on the right of the picture. Looking straight ahead the trackbed for the Pier branch drops so that it can pass under the Chester to Holyhead line.
Photo by Paul Wright




[Source: Paul Wright]

Home Page
Last updated: Thursday, 18-May-2017 11:59:13 CEST
© 1998-2009 Disused Stations