Station Name: ST. ASAPH

[Source: Paul Wright]


Date opened: 5.10.1858
Location: South side of High Street (A525)
Company on opening: Vale of Clwyd Railway
Date closed to passengers: 19.9.1955
Date closed completely: 4.5.1964
Company on closing: British Railways (Midland Region)
Present state: The main station building which incorporates the stationmaster's house and part of the northbound platform survive.
County: Flintshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ041744
Date of visit: 3.2.2008
Notes: St Asaph Station was opened on the 5th October 1858 as part of the Vale of Clywd Railway which ran from a connection to the Chester and Holyhead Railway, to the west of Rhyl, to Denbigh. St. Asaph was the third station out of Rhyl. The Vale of Clywd line was a single track route but passing places were provided at intermediate stations. An extension
of the line from a point just to the south of the Chester to Holyhead Railway, which became known as Foryd Junction, to Foryd Pier was opened in August 1864.

St Asaph Station was originally provided with one platform but another was added in 1877 when a passing loop was installed at the station so that trains could pass. The station had a brick built two storey building which provided the usual facilities on the northbound platform and a brick built waiting shelter on the Denbigh platform. The platforms, which were
slightly staggered, were connected by a footbridge. The station was accessed by an approach road led into St Asaph, a City in name, if not in stature, due to it having a Cathedral. The goods yard was on the west side of the station and had a loading dock for handling livestock and a 5 ton crane.


At the time of opening St Asaph Station was served by four trains per day running between Rhyl and Denbigh. Even after the opening of the extension to Foryd Pier in 1864 the pattern of services remained unaltered as, although a station was provided at Foryd Pier regular passenger services never used it.


In 1864 the LNWR assumed control of the Vale of Clwyd Railway and on the 15th July 1867 they absorbed it. In 1869 a line was opened by the Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen Railway from Denbigh to Corwen. This new line made an end on connection with the Vale of Clwyd Railway. From the opening of the line some services ran from Rhyl to Corwen and
served St Asaph. However most passenger trains still ran only between Rhyl and Denbigh.

In 1923 St Asaph Station and the Vale of Clywd line became part of the London Midland Scottish Railway (LMS). Over the years passenger services had increased. By 1947 St Asaph Station was served by eight trains in each direction running between Rhyl and Denbigh. Onward connections for Corwen were available at Denbigh.

Following nationalization in 1948 St Asaph Station became part of the British Railway’s London Midland Region. During the 1950s passenger services on the Vale of Clwyd line had decreased to only a couple of trains in each direction. On the 19th September 1955 regular passenger services were withdrawn altogether and the passing loop was removed shortly afterwards
leaving the former Denbigh platform devoid of track.

Excursion trains continued to pass through the site of St Asaph station into the 1960's. Another feature of the line was land cruise trains which took holiday makers on tours of scenic North Wales.

Goods services continued to operate through St Asaph until the 1st March 1965 when the Vale of Clwyd Line was closed completely. It was lifted shortly afterwards. The main station building still stands today and the station site is in use as a building supplies yard. Although the trackbed has been infilled part of the northbound platform also survives. Other features such
as steps and gates can also still be seen.

Source: From Rhyl to Corwen by Rail by J.M.Dunn - Railway Magazine: February & March 1957
Tickets from Michael Stewart.

Further reading: Vale of Clwyd Railway: Rhyl to Denbigh Railway by Stephen Goodall.(1992)
ISBN 0 9520 1650 8

To see other stations on the Rhyl - Denbigh line click on the station name: Rhyl STILL OPEN, Foryd Pier, Foryd, Rhuddlan, Trefnant & Denbigh


St. Asaph Station looking south in December 1951
Copyright photo by John Mann collection




St. Asaph Station looking north in August 1954
Copyright photo by RM Casserley


St. Asaph Station looking north in the early 1960's
P
hoto by Dave Nicholas

St. Asaph station forecourt in May 1978
P
hoto by Alan Young

St. Asaph Station looking south in October 1994
P
hoto by Nick Catford

St. Asaph Station looking south in February 2009
P
hoto by Paul Wright

August 1955

Early 1960's

October 1994

October 1994

November 1994

November 1994

February 2008

February 2008

February 2008

February 2008


Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]



Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 10:05:53 BST
© 1998-2009 Disused Stations