Station Name: RHYL
Rhyl station is still open but is included for completeness

[Source: Nick Catford]

Date opened: 1.5.1848
Location: Un-named station approach road off Kinmel Street
Company on opening: Chester and Holyhead Railway
Date closed to passengers: Still open
Date closed completely: Still open
Company on closing: Still open
Present state: Although the station is still open the two bay platforms used by Denbigh trains have been demolished and the site redeveloped.
County: Flintshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ009812
Date of visit: 10.5.2009
Notes: Rhyl Station opened on the 1st May 1848. The Station was part of the Chester and Holyhead Railway Company's line which was engineered by Robert Stephenson. The line opened to Bangor on the 1st May 1848, between Holyhead and Llanfair PG on the 1st August 1848 and finally, following completion of the Britannia Bridge across the Menai Straights, in its
entirety on the 18th March 1850. On the 1st of January 1859 the Chester and Holyhead Railway was absorbed into the London & North Western Railway (LNWR) and the line became an important truck route for that company. Indeed the line was of strategic importance as it connected London to Ireland via the Holyhead Ferry.


Rhyl Station was situated close to the centre of the Town of Rhyl. At the time of opening the line had two tracks and the station was provided with platforms on each line. The main station facilities consisted of a two story brick built building that was located on the eastbound platform. Due to the amount of traffic that the line carried the LNWR quadrupled much of its
route including the section through Rhyl. Rhyl Station was enlarged and by the early part of the 20th Century it had five platform faces. The westbound platform was effectively a large island platform which also had two bay platforms at its west end. The bay platforms served shorter workings on the Chester to Holyhead line and also services on the Vale of Clwyd line to Denbigh. The platforms were connected by a covered footbridge and extensive awnings were provided for passenger comfort.


The station was also provided with extensive goods facilities located to the south and west of the passenger station. Rhyl became a very important holiday destination and as a result railway traffic was very busy. Most main line express trains called at Rhyl which was also served by local services and an abundance of exclusions. Even after the closure of the
Vale of Clwyd line to passenger services in 1955 Rhyl remained busy.

The quadruple lines along the Chester to Holyhead line reverted to double track in the 1980s.  By 1986 the bay platforms were out of use and their track had been lifted, although three platform faces still remained in use. The site of the bay platforms has now been redeveloped and Rhyl has reverted to having only two platforms but it retains much of its original character.

Source: From Rhyl to Corwen by Rail by J.M.Dunn - Railway Magazine: February & March 1957
Tickets from Michael Stewart.

Further reading: Vale of Clwyd Railway: Rhyl to Denbigh Railway by Stephen Goodall.(1992)
ISBN 0 9520 1650 8

To see other stations on the Rhyl - Denbigh line click on the station name:
Foryd Pier, Foryd, Rhuddlan, St. Asaph, Trefnant & Denbigh

To see other stations on the Chester - Holyhead line click on the station name: Sandycroft, Queensferry, Connahs Quay, Bagillt, Holywell Junction, Mostyn, Talacre, Prestatyn (1st site), Foryd, Llandulas, Llysfaen, Old Colwyn, Mochdre & Pabo, Llandudno Junction (1st site), Conway, Conway Marsh, Llanfairfechan, Aber, Menai Bridge, Britannia Bridge, Gaerwen & Valley


Rhyl Station in 1905. A Denbigh line train can be seen in the bay platform on the left.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection


Rhyl Station in 1870 before the bay platforms for the Denbigh line were built.

Rhyl station looking north east in July 1963. The bay platform can be seen on the right beyond the through platform.
Copyright photo by RM Casserley


Rhyl station looking north east in June 1977, the disused bay platforms can be seen on the right.
Copyright photo by Nigel Mundy


Looking north east towards Rhyl station in 1986, the disused bay platforms are seen on the right
Photo by John Powell from Sulzers in North Wales web site

Looking north east towards Rhyl station in 2008. The site of the bay platform and goods yard have now been redeveloped.
P
hoto by Phil Trotter from Phil T's Rail Photo Files


Early 20th century

August 1964

1986

1986

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Home Page
Last updated: Monday, 22-May-2017 12:01:05 BST
© 1998-2009 Disused Stations