Station Name: LLANFAIRFECHAN
Station is still open but had its building demolished and underwent remodeling as part of the construction of the A55 trunk road

[Source: Paul Wright]

Date opened: 1.5.1860
Location: North side of A55 and at the end of an approach road running west from Station Road
Company on opening: London & North Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: Still open
Date closed completely: Still open
Company on closing: Still open
Present state: Station building was demolished to enable the A55 trunk road to be built. The new section of A55 opened in October 1989. Platforms and footbridge are still extant.
County: Caernarvonshire
OS Grid Ref: SH678752
Date of visit: Not visited
Notes: Llanfairfechan Station was opened on the 1st May 1860 by the LNWR on their Chester to Holyhead main line which had opened in 1848.

The station was provided with two platforms and a handsome two storey brick built building on the Holyhead direction platform.

Llanfairfechan lost its goods service on 1st June 1964 but remained open for passangers. In 1987 its building was demolished and the station site was altered to accommodate the A55 North Wales Expressway which now runs parallel with the Chester to Holyhead line at this point. The road now runs through the site of the former station building. The station was closed for
a period while this work was being done.


The original station footbridge survived the alterations but very little of the presentl station is original.

Further reading: The Chester & Holyhead Railway by Peter E. Baughan (1972) - Volume 1 & 2, Published by David & Charles ISBN 10-0715356178 and Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Vol.

11, North & Mid Wales by P.E. Baughan, published by David & Charles (1991) ISBN-10: 0946537593. Tickets from Michael Stewart

For a full history of the Chester - Holyhead line see the North Wales Coast Railway web site

To see other stations on the Chester - Holyhead line click on the station name: Sandycroft, Queensferry, Connahs Quay, Bagillt, Holywell Junction, Mostyn, Talacre, Prestatyn (1st site), Prestatyn (2nd site and Dystrth branch platform), Foryd, Llandulas, Llysfaen, Old Colwyn, Mochdre & Pabo, Llandudno Junction (1st site), Conway, Conway Marsh, Aber, Menai Bridge, Britannia Bridge, Gaerwen & Valley


Llanfairfechan Station in the early 1960's
P
hoto by Dave Nicholas


Llanfairfechan Station in June 1984
Photo by Dave Sallery from his Railways of North Wales web site

Llanfairfechan Station shortly after closure in 1987
P
hoto by Victor Smith

Llanfairfechan Station in October 2006
Photo by Sel Williams from Just Trains web site


Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 13:33:09 BST
© 1998-2008 Disused Stations