Station Name: SANDYCROFT

[Source: Paul Wright & Bevan Price]



Date opened: 1.3.1884
Location: West side of Station Road overbridge
Company on opening: London & North Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 1.5.1961
Date closed completely: 1.5.1961
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Flintshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ335672
Date of visit: 13.6.2006

Notes: Sandycroft Station was opened by the LNWR in1884 to serve the small community of Sandycroft. The station was situated on the Holyhead to Chester line which opened from Chester to Bangor on the 1st May 1848 and through to Holyhead on the 18th March 1850.

By the time Sandycroft Station was opened the line had become a busy main line of strategic importance as it linked London to Ireland via a Holyhead Ferry. As a consequence the route had been mostly quadrupled between Chester and Abergele. The station though was only provided with two timber built platforms situated on the slow lines

Located on the west side of an overbridge the station’s facilities were not as grand as those provided at the original stations that opened on the line in 1848 and 1850. A brick built single story booking facility was provided at road level on the south side of the line.

The booking office was connected to the platforms by means of steps and a footbridge that led over to the eastbound platform. Wooden waiting facilities with awnings were provided on the platforms. There was also a signalbox located in the centre of the fast lines and railway workers cottages, which still stand today, located close to the station site.

Throughout its life the station was mostly served by local stopping trains running to various locations along the North Wales Coast. Far more traffic passed through the station on the fast lines including the famous ‘Irish Mail’. 

The Station closed to passengers and goods on the
1st May 1961 although a private siding stayed in use after that date. By 1986 the line had been reduced to just two tracks but it remains busy to this day. Nothing survives other than a road name to show that a station existed at this location.

For a full history of the Chester - Holyhead line see the North Wales Coast Railway web site

Further reading: The Chester & Holyhead Railway by Peter E. Baughan (1972) - Volume 1 & 2, Published by David & Charles ISBN 10-0715356178 and Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Vol. 11, North & Mid Wales by P.E. Baughan, published by David & Charles (1991) ISBN-10: 0946537593. Tickets from Michael Stewart

To see other stations on the Chester - Holyhead line click on the station name: Queensferry, Connahs Quay, Bagillt, Holywell Junction, Mostyn, Talacre, Prestatyn (1st site), Prestatyn (2nd site and Dystrth branch platform), Foryd, Llandulas, Llysfaen, Old Colwyn, Mochdre & Pabo, Llandudno Junction (1st site) Conway, Conway Marsh, Llanfairfechan, Aber, Menai Bridge, Britannia Bridge, Gaerwen & Valley.


Sandycroft Station looking south east in c.1900



Looking south east towards the site of Sandycroft Station in June 2006
P
hoto by Bevan Price


June 2006

June 2006

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright & Bevan Price]







Last updated: Sunday, 06-Nov-2011 23:03:41 GMT
© 1998-2008 Disused Stations