Station Name: CONNAHS QUAY

 

[Source: Paul Wright & Bevan Price]



Date opened: 1.9.1870
Location: West of Dock Road bridge
Company on opening: London & North Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 14.2.1966
Date closed completely: 14.2.1966
Company on closing: Brithis Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Flintshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ292699
Date of visit: July 2006 & 3.2.2008
Notes: Connahs Quay station was opened by the LNWR on 1.9.1870 and was situated on the Holyhead to Chester line which opened from Chester to Bangor on the 1st May 1848 and through to Holyhead on the 18th March 1850.The station was provided with two platforms which were linked by a footbridge. On the westbound platform a two story
brick built building provided booking facilities, waiting rooms and staff accommodation. On the east bound platform there was a single story waiting shelter.


The station was mostly served by local stopping trains but it was able to accommodate lengthy express services as it was provided with long platforms. There were no goods facilities after 1.11.1952 although a coal depot remained in use after that date.

The station was closed to passengers on14.2.1966

For a full history of the Chester - Holyhead line see the North Wales Coast Railway web site

Further reading: The Chester & Holyhead Railway by Peter E. Baughan (1972) - Volume 1 & 2, Published by David & Charles ISBN 10-0715356178 and Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Vol. 11, North & Mid Wales by P.E. Baughan, published by David & Charles (1991) ISBN-10: 0946537593. Tickets from Michael Stewart

To see other stations on the Chester - Holyhead line click on the station name: Sandycroft, Queensferry, Bagillt, Holywell Junction, Mostyn, Talacre, Prestatyn (1st site), Prestatyn (2nd site and Dystrth branch platform), Foryd, Llandulas, Llysfaen, Old Colwyn, Mochdre & Pabo, Llandudno Junction (1st site), Conway, Conway Marsh, Llanfairfechan, Aber, Menai Bridge, Britannia Bridge, Gaerwen & Valley.


Connahs Quay Station looking north west in the early 1960's
Photo by Dave Nicholas





Site of Down line (Westbound) platform at Connah's Quay, looking west in June 2006. New houses occupy part of the station approach.
Photo by Bevan Price

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright & Bevan Price]


Home Page
Last updated: Wednesday, 17-May-2017 08:18:07 BST
© 1998-2008 Disused Stations