Station Name: CONWY

[Source: Paul Wright]


Date opened: 1.5.1848
Location: At the end of Rose Lane
Company on opening: Chester and Holyhead
Date closed to passengers: 14.2.1966
Date Re-opened: 29.6.1987
Company on re-opening: British Rail
Present state: The original station including its platforms was demolished soon after closure but for many years a section of wall was left in situ. In 1987 a new modern style station was opened on the site of the original all traces of which were swept away.
County: Caernarvonshire
OS Grid Ref: SH781775
Date of visit: 10.2.2008
Notes: Conway Station opened on the 1st May 1848. The Station was part of the Chester and Holyhead Railway Companies line which was engineered by Robert Stephenson. The line opened to Bangor on the 1st May 1848, between Holyhead and Llanfair PG on the 1st August 1848 and finally, following completion of the Britannia Bridge across the Menai Straights, in
its entirety on the 18th March 1850. On the 1st of January 1859 the Chester and Holyhead Railway was absorbed into the LNWR and the line became an important truck route for that company. Indeed the line was of strategic importance as it connected London to Ireland via the Holyhead Ferry.

The station was situated on a double track section of the line within the walled town of Conway. The builders of the line played homage to the heritage of the town by constructing mock castle gates at the points where the line entered and exited the walled town. They continued with the historic theme at the station which was built in a Tudor style. The station had two
platforms with the main facilities, a two story brick built building, located on the eastbound platform. A single story brick built building containing waiting facilities stood on the westbound platform. Both platforms were provided with decorative awnings which gave shelter from the weather. Both platforms were linked by a covered footbridge.


Despite being in a very busy tourist town located on a very busy line a decision was taken to close Conway Station and it closed to passengers on the 14th February 1966. Shortly afterwards its impressive station buildings were demolished although for many years part of the main station building remained in place as a wall separating the line from the town.

The local authorities for the area lobbied constantly to get the station re-opened and eventually they were successful. Conway Station re-opened in 1987 on its original site but in a much simpler form. The platforms were slightly shorter and the station was renamed Conwy.

For a full history of the Chester - Holyhead line see the North Wales Coast Railway web site

Further reading: The Chester & Holyhead Railway by Peter E. Baughan (1972) - Volume 1 & 2, Published by David & Charles ISBN 10-0715356178 and Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Vol. 11, North & Mid Wales by P.E. Baughan, published by David & Charles (1991) ISBN-10: 0946537593. Tickets from Michael Stewart

To see other stations on the Chester - Holyhead line click on the station name: Sandycroft, Queensferry, Connahs Quay, Bagillt, Holywell Junction, Mostyn, Talacre, Prestatyn (1st site), Prestatyn (2nd site and Dystrth branch platform), Foryd, Llandulas, Llysfaen, Old Colwyn, Mochdre & Pabo, Llandudno Junction (1st site), Conway Marsh, Llanfairfechan, Aber, Menai Bridge, Britannia Bridge, Gaerwen & Valley


Conway Station looking west in 1914
Photo from John Mann collection


Conway Station looking west in February 1962
P
hoto by Ben Brooksbank

Looking west from the eastbound platform in February 2008. The station is a much simpler affair than the original. The new platforms are shorter (compare with 1962 picture above)
P
hoto by Paul Wright

Steam hauled special at Conwy in June 2005
P
hoto by Ken from his Picasa web album


Last updated: Wednesday, 17-May-2017 08:18:32 BST
© 1998-2008 Disused Stations