Station Name: ABER

[Source: Paul Wright & Bevan Price]


Date opened: 1.5.1848
Location: End of Station Road
Company on opening: Chester & Holyhead Railway
Date closed to passengers: 12.9.1960
Date closed completely: 4.5.1964
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Westbound platform building remains in private occupation. Platforms and other buildings demolished.
County: Caernarvonshire
OS Grid Ref: SH651733
Date of visit: 13.7.2006
Notes: Aber Station opened on the 1st May 1848. The Station was part of the Chester and Holyhead Railway Companies line which was engineered by Robert Stephenson. The line opened to Bangor on the 1st May 1848, between Holyhead and Llanfair PG on the 1st August 1848 and finally, following completion of the Britannia Bridge across the Menai Straights, in
its entirety on the 18th March 1850. On the 1st of January 1859 the Chester and Holyhead Railway was absorbed into the LNWR and the line became an important trunk route for that company. Indeed the line was of strategic importance as it connected London to Ireland via the Holyhead Ferry.

The station was situated on a double track section of the line and was provided with two platforms. A substantial brick built two storey building was provided on the westbound platform and more simple waiting facilities on the eastbound platform. Being in a fairly remote location the station would have catered mainly for local stopping services with express passenger and
goods services passing through. The station also had goods facilities with cattle pens and a siding for loading slate from Lord Penryn's slate works which was beside the station. In later years the station had a camping coach.


By the second half of the 20th century the station would have seen very little traffic which led to its closure to passenger traffic on the 12th September 1960. Goods traffic lasted a little longer as an unstaffed public siding but that was also withdrawn on 4th May 1964. Today the station building is still extant and in use as a private dwelling.

For a full history of the Chester - Holyhead line see the North Wales Coast Railway web site

Further reading: The Chester & Holyhead Railway by Peter E. Baughan (1972) - Volume 1 & 2, Published by David & Charles ISBN 10-0715356178 and Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Vol. 11, North & Mid Wales by P.E. Baughan, published by David & Charles (1991) ISBN-10: 0946537593. Tickets from Michael Stewart

To see other stations on the Chester - Holyhead line click on the station name: Sandycroft, Queensferry, Connahs Quay, Bagillt, Holywell Junction, Mostyn, Talacre, Prestatyn (1st site), Prestatyn (2nd site and Dystrth branch platform), Foryd, Llandulas, Llysfaen, Old Colwyn, Mochdre & Pabo, Llandudno Junction (1st site), Conway, Conway Marsh, Llanfairfechan, Menai Bridge, Britannia Bridge, Gaerwen & Valley


Aber Station looking east in c. 1912 with an express service heading west, probably to Holyhead.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection



Passing through the disused Aber Station in the early 1960's
P
hoto by Dave Nicholas

Looking east towards the site of Aber Station in September 1977.
The station building can be seen on the right.
Photo by Dave Plimmer from his Main Line Railways of North Wales web site

The site of Aber westbound platform, looking east from a passing train in July 2006. The platform commenced after the foot crossing and the surviving white former station building can be seen behind the lamp-post.
P
hoto by Bevan Price


Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright & Bevan Price]




Last updated: Sunday, 06-Nov-2011 23:20:37 GMT
© 1998-2008 Disused Stations