Station Name: BAGILLT

[Source: Paul Wright & Bevan Price]

Date opened: First in timetable 1849
Location: East of Station Road
Company on opening: Chester & Holyhead Railway
Date closed to passengers: 14.2.1966
Date closed completely: 14.2.1966
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: All buildings demolished. The up & down slow line platforms still exist, although no longer rail served. The station footbridge survives as a public footbridge over the railway. A substantial brick goods shed is in industrial use in the former goods yard on the south west side of the line.
County: Flintshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ222754
Date of visit: July 2006 & 3.2.2008
Notes: Bagillt station was situated on the Holyhead to Chester line which opened from Chester to Bangor on the 1st May 1848 and through to Holyhead on the 18th March 1850. It first appeared in timetables in January 1849; initially the station was known as Bagilt but eventually the correct name was adopted. The station was slightly resited by the LNWR in 1871.

The line became very busy and in the later years of the 19th Century it was quadrupled through Bagillt. Widening of the track through the station left room for an island platform serving the fast lines although this was never built, the station only ever had two platforms that were situated on the slow lines.


Bagillt Station was served by local stopping services running to various locations along the main line.

The station closed to goods on 4th May 1964 and to passengers on the 14th of February 1966. In the mid 1980's the line at this point reverted to two tracks. The platforms however have survived as has the station
footbridge which now carries a public footpath across the line.

For a full history of the Chester - Holyhead line see the North Wales Coast Railway web site

Further reading: The Chester & Holyhead Railway by Peter E. Baughan (1972) - Volume 1 (Volume 2 was never published), Published by David & Charles ISBN 10-0715356178 and Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Vol. 11, North & Mid Wales by P.E. Baughan, published by David & Charles (1991) ISBN-10: 0946537593. Tickets from Michael Stewart

To see other stations on the Chester - Holyhead line click on the station name: Sandycroft, Queensferry, Connahs Quay, Holywell Junction, Mostyn, Talacre, Prestatyn (1st site), Prestatyn (2nd site and Dystrth branch platform), Foryd, Llandulas, Llysfaen, Old Colwyn, Mochdre & Pabo, Llandudno Junction (1st site), Conway, Conway Marsh, Llanfairfechan, Aber, Menai Bridge, Britannia Bridge, Gaerwen & Valley


Bagillt station looking north west early 20th century.
Photo received from Terah Lloyd




Bagillt station looking south east in September 1962
P
hoto by Ben Brooksbank


Bagillt station in the early 1960's
P
hoto by Dave Nicholas


The main station building at Bagillt seen from a passing train in August 1973.
P
hoto by Alan Young


Bagillt 'down' (westbound) slow line platform, looking south east in June 2006
P
hoto by Bevan Price


Bagillt station looking south east in February 2008 showing the two extant platforms. The station's goods depot is also still extant and can be seen on the right of the picture
P
hoto by Nick Catford



Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 06-Nov-2011 23:06:52 GMT
© 1998-2008 Disused Stations