Station Name: OLD COLWYN

[Source: Paul Wright & Bevan Price]


Date opened: 9.4.1884
Location: North side of the A55 opposite the end of Queens Road
Company on opening: London & North Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 1.12.1952
Date closed completely: 4.5.1964
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: The degraded remains of the westbound platform, little more than a mound alongside the track. Nothing else remains.
County: Denbighshire
OS Grid Ref: SH873787
Date of visit: 25.3.2006
Notes: Colwyn Bay Station opened in 1849, a year after the LNWR opened their Chester – Holyhead main line. On  the 9th April 1884 the LNWR opened another station on the east side of Colwyn Bay which had become a popular holiday resort thanks to the railway which had provided easy access especially so for the populations of Liverpool and Manchester.

The new station was initially named Colwyn but strangers travelling from the Chester direction would often alight there by mistake thinking it was Colwyn Bay. To avoid confusion the station was renamed Old Colwyn on 1st June 1885. For a short time Colwyn Bay was known as New Colwyn, there was much protest so the name was changed back to Colwyn Bay.

Old Colwyn Station station would have been provided primarily to serve the lucrative holiday trade. The station had two staggered platforms with basic waiting facilities at platform level. There was a siding and coal yard. There were four coal merchants, T.S Jones, William McGregor, William Ellis and Tom Williams. Each had a shed and office in the coal yard.


The station was only just over a mile from Colwyn Bay’s main station and was probably not very busy outside of the holiday season. As a consequence it closed to passengers on the 1st December 1952. Goods traffic lasted until 4th May 1964.

Today the only evidence that the station ever existed
are some degraded remains of the westbound platform. The line is still a busy trunk route catering for goods and passenger services.

Further reading: The Chester & Holyhead Railway by Peter E. Baughan (1972) - Volume 1 & 2, Published by David & Charles ISBN 10-0715356178. Tickets from Michael Stewart

To see other stations on the Chester - Holyhead line click on the station name: Sandycroft, Queensferry, Connahs Quay, Bagillt, Holywell Junction, Mostyn, Talacre, Prestatyn (1st site), Prestatyn (2nd site and Dystrth branch platform), Foryd, Llandulas, Llysfaen, Mochdre & Pabo, Llandudno Junction (1st site), Conway, Conway Marsh, Llanfairfechan, Aber, Menai Bridge, Britannia Bridge, Gaerwen & Valley


Old Colwyn Station looking east in 1914
Copyright photo from Tony Harden collection




Old Colwyn Station looking east in the early 1960's
Photo by Dave Nicholas


The degraded remains of the westbound platform at Old Colwyn looking west from
a pasing train in March 2006
P
hoto by Bevan Price


Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright & Bevan Price]




Last updated: Sunday, 06-Nov-2011 23:15:37 GMT
© 1998-2008 Disused Stations