Station Name: VALLEY
Although Valley is still open it closed in 1966 along with many of the stations on the Holyhead line but was reopened in 1982

[Source: Paul Wright]


Date opened: First in timetable May/June 1849
Location: On the north west side of the B4545 Valley to Trearadur road.
Company on opening: Chester and Holyhead Railway
Date closed to passengers: February 14th 1966 (re-opened on the 15th March 1982)
Date closed completely: Still open
Company on closing: Still open
Present state: Still open
County: Anglesey
OS Grid Ref: SH293792
Date of visit: Not visited
Notes: Valley station was located on the Isle of Anglesey and was opened as part of the Chester and Holyhead Railway Companies line which was engineered by Robert Stephenson. The line opened to Bangor in North Wales on the 1st May 1848 and between Llanfair PG and Holyhead, both on the island of Anglesey on the 1st August 1848. The reason for
the gap in the route was because the Britannia Bridge across the Menai Straights was still under construction. Passengers travelled from Bangor to Llanfair PG by horse drawn coach using Thomas Telfords Menai Road Bridge. Gaerwen passengers therefore could only travel by train to Holyhead and Llanfair PG.

Finally the Britannia Bridge opened to public services on the18th March 1850 and from that date trains could run between Chester and Holyhead. On the 1st of January 1859 the Chester and Holyhead Railway was absorbed into the LNWR and the line became an important truck route for that company. Indeed the line was of strategic importance as it connected London to
Ireland via the Holyhead Ferry.


Valley Station was located on the west side of a level crossing and was provided with two platforms and a substantial two storey brick built building on its Chester (eastbound) side. The station would have been served by mostly local services running between Holyhead and Bangor but during the summer months many excursions would have delivered holidaymakers bound for the nearby town of Trearardur with its sandy bay.

Along with many other stations on the Chester to Holyhead Line, Valley closed to passengers on the 14th February 1966. The nearby goods yard continued in use as a loading facility for Nuclear Flasks from the nearby Wylfa Magnox Nuclear Power Station The station lies very close to the large RAF Base called Valley and after much local lobbying the station
was re-opened on the 15th March 1982.

For a full history of the Chester - Holyhead line see the North Wales Coast Railway web site

Further reading: The Chester & Holyhead Railway by Peter E. Baughan (1972) - Volume 1 & 2, Published by David & Charles ISBN 10-0715356178 and Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Vol. 11, North & Mid Wales by P.E. Baughan, published by David & Charles (1991) ISBN-10: 0946537593. Tickets from Michael Stewart

To see other stations on the Chester - Holyhead line click on the station name: Sandycroft, Queensferry, Connahs Quay, Bagillt, Holywell Junction, Mostyn, Talacre, Prestatyn (1st site), Prestatyn (2nd site and Dystrth branch platform), Foryd, Llandulas, Llysfaen, Old Colwyn, Mochdre & Pabo, Llandudno Junction (1st site), Conway, Conway Marsh, Llanfairfechan, Aber, Menai Bridge, Britannia Bridge & Gaerwen


Valley Station looking north west before September 1914
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection



Valley Station looking south east
Copyright photo from Tony Harden collection


Valley Station in May 1977 - note the Holyhead platform has been demolished.
Copyright photo by Nigel Mundy


The 12.07 Birmingham to Holyhead approaching Valley Station on 19th January 2001
Photo by Alan Crawshaw from his Bike and Trains web site

By September 1914

January 2001


Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]





Last updated: Sunday, 06-Nov-2011 23:23:30 GMT
© 1998-2008 Disused Stations