Station Name: FORYD (KINMEL BAY HALT)

[Source: Paul Wright & Bevan Price]

Date opened: 20.4.1885
Location: North side of Morfa Avenue and east of of A540 Foryd Road
Company on opening: London & North Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 5.1.1931 (Foryd) 2.9.1939 (Kinmel Bay Halt)
Date closed completely: 9.10.1948
Company on closing: London Midland & Scottish Railway (Foryd), British Railways (London Midland Region) Kinmel Bay Halt
Present state: Demolished
County: Denbighshire
OS Grid Ref: SH982800
Date of visit: July 2006
Notes: Foryd Station originally opened on 5th October 1858 on the Denbigh line. On 20th April 1885 it was replaced by a new station at Kinmel Bay (still named Foryd) on the LNWR's Chester to Holyhead main line which had opened in 1848. Due to the construction of the railway the North Wales Coast became very popular with the populations of the Liverpool and
Manchester conurbations as a holiday destination. Many campsites opened along the coast including at Kinmel Bay.

The line at Kinmel Bay had four tracks up slow and fast and down slow and fast. The station was only provided with two platforms which served the slow lines.

The station closed as an economy measure during WW1 on the 2nd July 1917 and reopened on 1st July 1919. The station would have been provided with basic facilities and it is unlikely that it ever did much business outside of the holiday months. As a result the station closed on 5th of January 1931. It re-opened experimentally Kinmel Bay Halt for summer season
traffic, opening on 4th July 1938 and closing on 2nd September 1938. It opened again the following summer on 19th June 1939 but closed on 2nd September 1939 and there was no further passenger service although the station didn't officially close until 9th October 1948. Kinmel Bay Halt didn't appear in public timetables. Nothing survives of the station today but the line remains busy.

Kinmel Camp and Foryd Pier - A military line ran from Kinmel Camp to Foryd Station joining from the east so a reversal was need for journeys to Rhyl. The line was opened on 7th August 1916. The line was later diverted to join the Denbigh line just before this joined the main line (see map); initially the link was along part of the line to the harbour requiring a double reversal. The new link opened on 14th June 1917 by GOC Western Command and trains were diverted over the new link from 2nd July 1917 with soldiers trains running to Rhyl and Foryd when it re-opened in 1919. Initially there were six daily trains to Rhyl and seven back for troops' recreation. The camp was dismantled in 1920. The line to Foryd Pier ran from the original Foryd Station, opening in August 1859 to connect with steamers to Liverpool. The station was resited nearer the river mouth on 1st October 1865. The untimetabled service wasn't regular and there is no record of when it ceased carrying passengers but it continued to carry freight until 6th April 1959..

For a full history of the Chester - Holyhead line see the North Wales Coast Railway web site

Further reading: The Chester & Holyhead Railway by Peter E. Baughan (1972) - Volume 1 & 2, Published by David & Charles ISBN 10-0715356178 and Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Vol. 11, North & Mid Wales by P.E. Baughan, published by David & Charles (1991) ISBN-10: 0946537593. Tickets from Michael Stewart

To see other stations on the Chester - Holyhead line click on the station name: Sandycroft, Queensferry, Connahs Quay, Bagillt, Holywell Junction, Mostyn, Talacre, Prestatyn (1st site), Prestatyn (2nd site and Dystrth branch platform), Llandulas, Llysfaen, Old Colwyn, Mochdre & Pabo, Llandudno Junction (1st site), Conway, Conway Marsh, Llanfairfechan, Aber, Menai Bridge, Britannia Bridge, Gaerwen & Valley


Pictures of Foryd Station are very hard to find. This one is c. late 19th century.


1915 Ordnance Survey map

Site of Foryd westbound platform looking west. Note the same bridge as in the 1890's picture above.
Photo by Bevan Price

Site of Foryd eastbound platform looking west
P
hoto by Bevan Price

The site of Foryd Station looking east. The shape of the mound adjacent to the westbound line looks like it could be the degraded remains of the westbound platform
P
hoto by Paul Wright


On
Sunday 12 August 2012 a Cardiff Central - Holyhead service passes the site of Foryd Station, which is indicated on the yellow milepost as being 211 miles from London Euston.
Jon Davis

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright & Bevan Price]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 16-Dec-2012 19:32:31 GMT
© 1998-2012 Disused Stations