Station Name: LLANDULAS

 

[Source: Nick Catford]



Date opened: 1.7.1889
Location: Between two bridges over Wern Road
Company on opening: London & North Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 1.12.1952
Date closed completely: 1.12.1952
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Denbighshire
OS Grid Ref: SH906786
Date of visit: 15.7.2006
Notes: Llandulas Station was opened by the LNWR on their Chester to Holyhead main line which had opened in 1848. The station was on a double-track section of the line immediately to the west of Llandulas signal box.. The Chester and Holyhead railway had made the North Wales Coast an attractive holiday destination for the populations of Liverpool and
Manchester and the LNWR wanted to exploit this traffic.


Llandulas was located right on the coast where miles of sandy beaches could be accessed easily. The station would have been served by local trains and by holiday excursion traffic. The station would have had two platforms and fairly basic facilities.

It is likely that the station was never very busy other
than at holiday times which probably led to its early closure on the 1st December 1952. The line remains open and busy today. It is interesting to note that the station has always been called Llandulas while the village it served is Llanddulas.

On August 20th 1868 33 people died in a fire resulting from a collision between a mail train and a set of trucks at Llandulas station, the greatest loss of life in a railway accident in Wales

For a full history of the Chester - Holyhead line see the North Wales Coast Railway web site

Further reading: The Chester & Holyhead Railway by Peter E. Baughan (1972) - Volume 1 & 2, Published by David & Charles ISBN 10-0715356178 and Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Vol. 11, North & Mid Wales by P.E. Baughan, published by David & Charles (1991) ISBN-10: 0946537593. Tickets from Michael Stewart

To see other stations on the Chester - Holyhead line click on the station name: Sandycroft, Queensferry, Connahs Quay, Bagillt, Holywell Junction, Mostyn, Talacre, Prestatyn (1st site), Prestatyn (2nd site and Dystrth branch platform), Foryd, Llysfaen, Old Colwyn, Mochdre & Pabo, Llandudno Junction (1st site), Conway, Conway Marsh, Llanfairfechan, Aber, Menai Bridge, Britannia Bridge, Gaerwen & Valley


Llandulas Station in c. 1920



Llandulas signalbox in the early 1960's
P
hoto by Dave Nicholas

Site of Llandulas westbound platform, looking west in July 2006. Taken from a similar position to the picture above.
P
hoto by Bevan Price

Site of Llandulas eastbound platform, looking west in July 2006
Photo by Bevan Price


 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]



Last updated: Sunday, 06-Nov-2011 23:14:49 GMT
© 1998-2008 Disused Stations