and a ramp down to the platform. The westbound line had a waiting shelter. Despite its remote siting the station also had a goods service. On the 1st July 1889 the station was renamed as Llysfaen because a new station was opened on the line further to the east and it was given the name Llandulas.
||Notes: The station opened as Llandulas on the 1st August 1862. It was situated on the what had by then become the London and North Western Railways Chester to Holyhead main line. The station was provided with two platforms that were linked by a barrow crossing. The main station building was on the eastbound side of the line alongside the road with steps
Being in a fairly isolated position the station would have been served by local stopping services but a steady stream of express passenger and goods trains would have passed through. Llysfaen was an early closure to passengers and goods closing on the 5th January 1931.
Today degraded remains of both platforms can still be seen. A hut still stands on the westbound platform mound but it is likely to be a disused permanent way hut, rather than an original waiting shelter.
For a full history of the Chester - Holyhead line see the North Wales Coast Railway web site
Further reading: The Chester & Holyhead Railway by Peter E. Baughan (1972) - Volume 1 & 2, Published by David & Charles ISBN 10-0715356178 and Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Vol. 11, North & Mid Wales by P.E. Baughan, published by David & Charles (1991) ISBN-10: 0946537593. Tickets from Michael Stewart
To see other stations on the Chester - Holyhead line click on the station name: Sandycroft, Queensferry, Connahs Quay, Bagillt, Holywell Junction, Mostyn, Talacre, Prestatyn (1st site), Prestatyn (2nd site and Dystrth branch platform), Foryd, Llandulas, Old Colwyn, Mochdre & Pabo, Llandudno Junction (1st site), Conway, Conway Marsh, Llanfairfechan, Aber, Menai Bridge, Britannia Bridge, Gaerwen & Valley