Station Name: PRESTATYN (1st site)

[Source: Paul Wright]

Date opened: 1.5.1848
Location: Just to the east of the present day Prestatyn Station, on the east side of Station Road..
Company on opening: Chester and Holyhead Railway
Date closed to passengers: 28.2.1897
Date closed completely: 28.2.1897
Company on closing: London North Western Railway
Present state: The station building is still extant in a semi derelict state. Part of the building is in use as a taxi office. The goods shed also stands alongside the building.
County: Denbighshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ065831
Date of visit: 3.2.2008

Notes: Prestatyn (1st) Station opened on the 1st May 1848. The Station was part of the Chester and Holyhead Railway Companies line which was engineered by Robert Stephenson. The line opened to Bangor on the 1st May 1848, between Holyhead and Llanfair PG on the 1st August 1848 and finally, following completion of the Britannia Bridge across the Menai Straights, in its entirety on the 18th March 1850. On the 1st of January 1859 the Chester and Holyhead Railway was absorbed into the London & North Western Railway (LNWR) and the line became an important truck route for that company. Indeed the line was of strategic importance as it connected London to Ireland via the Holyhead Ferry.

Prestatyn (1st) Station was situated on the east side of a level crossing close to the original centre of Prestatyn. At the time of opening the line had two tracks and the station was provided with platforms on each line. The main station facilities consisted of a two story brick built building that was located on the westbound platform.

Due to the amount of traffic that the line carried the LNWR quadrupled much of its route including the section through Prestatyn. Unlike at other locations where stations were simply modified or extended at Prestatyn a new station was constructed slightly to the west of the original. It opened on the 28th February 1897 and the original station closed. Amazingly it still stands today along with its goods shed.

The quadrupled lines through Prestatyn reverted to double track in the 1980's leaving the replacement station with two redundant platforms. 

For a full history of the Chester - Holyhead line see the North Wales Coast Railway web site

Further reading: The Chester & Holyhead Railway by Peter E. Baughan (1972) - Volume 1 & 2, Published by David & Charles ISBN 10-0715356178 and Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Vol. 11, North & Mid Wales by P.E. Baughan, published by David & Charles (1991) ISBN-10: 0946537593. Tickets from Michael Stewart

To see other stations on the Chester - Holyhead line click on the station name: Sandycroft, Queensferry, Connahs Quay, Bagillt, Holywell Junction, Mostyn, Talacre, Prestatyn (2nd site and Dystrth branch platform), Foryd, Llandulas, Llysfaen, Old Colwyn, Mochdre & Pabo, Llandudno Junction (1st site), Conway, Conway Marsh, Llanfairfechan, Aber, Menai Bridge, Britannia Bridge, Gaerwen & Valley


Prestatyn 1st Station looking east in October 1979
P
hoto by John Mann


1871 1,2,500 Ordnance Survey map

The new station is shown on the west side of Station Road on this 1954 map but the old station building is also shown on the east side.

Prestatyn 1st station in April 1996
P
hoto by Alan Young


Prestatyn 1st Station looking east. The goods shed can be seen beyond the station building
P
hoto by Paul Wright

Prestatyn 1st station taken from the east end of the 2nd Station which is still open
Photo by Paul Wright

February 2008

February 2008


Click on thumbnail to enlarge

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Sunday, 06-Nov-2011 23:11:35 GMT
© 1998-2008 Disused Stations