Station Name: TREFNANT

[Source: Paul Wright]


Date opened: 5.10.1858
Location: Sough side of Bodfari Road (A541). Maes Teg now runs through the station site.
Company on opening: Vale of Clwyd Railway
Date closed to passengers: 19.9.1955
Date closed completely: 5.8.1957
Company on closing: British Railways (Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished. The site has been redeveloped for housing, no evidence of the station remains.
County: Denbighshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ053707
Date of visit: 3.2.2008
Notes: Trefnant Station was opened on the 5th October 1858 as part of the Vale of Clywd Railway which ran from a connection to the Chester and Holyhead Railway, to the west of Rhyl, to Denbigh. Trefnant was the fourth station out of Rhyl. The Vale of Clywd line was a single track route but passing places were provided at intermediate stations. An
extension of the line from a point just to the south of the Chester to Holyhead Railway, which became known as Foryd Junction, to Foryd Pier was opened in August 1864.

Trefnant Station which was located centrally in the Village of Trefnant, was provided with two platforms as there was a passing loop at the station which allowed trains to pass each other. The station had a brick built two storey building which provided the usual facilities located on the Rhyl platform with a small timber waiting shelter on the wide southbound
platform. The station was accessed from the Trefnant to Mold road which crossed the railway by means of an overbridge. The overbridge was located to the north of the station. The station was also provided with goods facilities including sidings which were located to the south and behind the station. There was a large brick built goods shed, loading bank for livestock and a 5 ton crane.


At the time of opening, Trefnant Station was served by four trains per day running between Rhyl and Denbigh. Even after the opening of the extension to Foryd Pier in 1864 the pattern of services remained unaltered as, although a station was provided at Foryd Pier regular passenger services never used it.


In 1864 the LNWR assumed control of the Vale of Clwyd Railway and on the 15th July 1867 they absorbed it. In 1869 a line was opened by the Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen Railway from Denbigh to Corwen. This new line made an end on connection with the Vale of Clwyd Railway. From the opening of the line some services ran from Rhyl to Corwen. In 1864 the LNWR
assumed control of the Vale of Clwyd Railway and on the 15th July 1867 they absorbed it. In 1869 a line was opened by the Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen Railway from Denbigh to Corwen. This new line made an end on connection with the Vale of Clwyd Railway. From the opening of the line some services ran from Rhyl to Corwen and served Trefnant. However most passenger trains still ran only between Rhyl and Denbigh.

In 1923 Trefnant Station and the Vale of Clywd line became part of the London Midland Scottish Railway (LMS). Over the years passenger services had increased. By 1947 Trefnant Station was served by ten trains in each direction running between Rhyl and Denbigh. Onward connections for Corwen were available at Denbigh.

Following nationalization in 1948 Trefnant Station became part of the British Railway’s London Midland Region. During the 1950s passenger services on the Vale of Clwyd line had decreased to only a couple of trains in each direction. On the 19th September 1955 regular passenger services were withdrawn altogether. The line through the station was singled at some point
shortly after passenger services ended. Excursion trains continued to pass through the site of Trefnant station into the 1960s. Another feature of the line was land cruise trains which took holiday makers on tours of scenic North Wales.

Goods services were withdrawn from Trefnant on 5th August 1957, earlier than other stations on the line although freight traffic continued to operate through Trefnant until the 1st March 1965 when the Vale of Clwyd Line was closed completely. It was lifted shortly afterwards. Today the site of Trefnant Station has been developed with housing.

Source: From Rhyl to Corwen by Rail by J.M.Dunn - Railway Magazine: February & March 1957
Tickets from Michael Stewart.

Further reading: Vale of Clwyd Railway: Rhyl to Denbigh Railway by Stephen Goodall.(1992)
ISBN 0 9520 1650 8

To see other stations on the Rhyl - Denbigh line click on the station name: Rhyl STILL OPEN, Foryd Pier, Foryd, Rhuddlan, St. Asaph & Denbigh


Trefnant Station looking north in August 1954
Copyright photo by H C Casserley



Trefnant Station looking south in August 1956
Photo by G H Platt

Trefnant Station looking north in the early 1960's
P
hoto by Dave Nicholas

The site of Trefnant Station looking south from the site of the overbridge that once carried the road across the railway at this point. (February 2008) The station site has been developed with housing and the bridge has been demolished.
P
hoto by Paul Wright



 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 07:57:34 BST
© 1998-2009 Disused Stations