Notes: The Macclesfield, Bollington & Marple Railway (MB&MR) opened its southern terminus station at Macclesfield on 2 August 1869. The MB&MR was authorised on 14 July 1864 to construct an 11-mile line between Macclesfield in the south and Marple Wharf in the north. At Marple Wharf the line connected to the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (MS&LR) and Midland Railway (MR) Manchester and Derby line. The original intention was that at Macclesfield the line would connect with the North Staffordshire Railway (NS). Both the MS&LR and the NS had a financial stake of £80,000 in the MB&MR and they agreed to operate and maintain it. The purpose of the line was to allow the NS to reach Manchester and the MS&LR to reach Staffordshire whilst also serving the cotton trade at Bollington. The NS shared a station with the London & North Western Railway (LNWR) at Macclesfield where the lines of both companies had an end-on junction. The LNWR had constantly frustrated the plans of the NS to reach Manchester and was also hostile to the MS&LR; this antagonism was one of the drivers behind the MB&MR scheme.
By the time the MB&MR line had opened the LNWR had changed its attitude towards the NS and granted running powers over the LNWR route to Manchester. The NS wanted the LNWR to build a joint station at Macclesfield that would have served all of the lines. The LNWR refused to do this and so a separate station had to be provided. It was located to the east of the LNWR Hibel Road station and was intended to be temporary. The station was reached via a driveway from Old Hall Street. The main facilities were located in a building that seemed over-large for a temporary station. The goods facilities provided to the east of the station included a large goods shed and numerous sidings.
At the time of opening the station was served by trains operated by the MS&LR and the NS. There were four each way on Monday-to-Saturday running between Macclesfield and Romiley; on Sunday there were two trains each way.
In 1871 the MB&MR was vested as a joint railway of the MS&LR and NS known as the Macclesfield Committee (MC). Having opened as a single-track railway it was doubled in 1871 at a cost of £16,000.
All efforts to create a joint station with the LNWR came to nothing and the MC decided to build a station of its own to the south of the LNWR station on the NS line. A connecting line of ¼-mile was built in 1873 which bypassed the temporary station to the east and formed a junction with the NS on the north side of Buxton Road. A new station called Macclesfield Central opened on 1 July 1873 and the original MB&MR facility closed. After closure the passenger facilities became part of the goods station.
The goods station survived until 22 September 1969.
Route map drawn by Alan Young
To see other stations on the Marple and Macclesfield line click the name:
Rose Hill Marple, High Lane, Middlewood Higher, Higher Poynton, Bollington and Macclesfield Central