Notes: Rainford Junction was built by the Lancashire and Yorkshire
Railway as a replacement station for its existing facilities
on the Liverpool Exchange to Wigan Line. The reason for the
relocation of its station was to facilitate interchange with
both the St. Helens Railways line to St. Helens which opened
on 1.2.1858 and the East Lancashire Railways line to Ormskirk
which opened on 1.3.1858. Both lines came into the new station
from a westerly direction, the St. Helens line curving in from
the south and the Ormskirk from the north. A single track link
line was provided between the St. Helens and the Ormskirk lines
which bypassed the station but it was mostly used by goods services.
In order that the operation of the main line through Rainford
Junction was not effected a single platform was provided for
the St. Helens line. In effect it was a continuation of the
westbound (Liverpool) platform that stretched beyond the junction.
The St. Helens Railway had its own basic wooden facilities on
this platform. Trains on St. Helens services could terminate
here without blocking the main line.
At the time of opening the St. Helens platform at Rainford Junction
station was served by four trains per day. The St. Helens to
Rainford Junction line became part of the LNWR on 4.8.1864 and
by 1904 they were operating 8 trains per day which connected
with L&Y services.
In 1923 all of the lines into Rainford Junction became part
of the LMS but they did not alter the pattern of services. Trains
still ran independently to St. Helens and to Ormskirk. Passengers
wishing to travel the entire length of the line had to change
at Rainford Junction.
By the mid 20th century traffic levels on the line had declined
and by 1951 only three workman's trains operated at morning
and afternoon rush hour. Despite protests regular passenger
services ceased on 16.6.1951 and the Rainford Junction St. Helens
Platform fell out of use. The line remained in use for goods
services and for passenger excursions and diversions up until
Rainford Junction Station is still open today but it was renamed
Rainford in 1973. The St. Helens platform can still be seen
next to a muddy track although it is heavily overgrown with
For other Stations on the St.
Helens - Ormskirk line click on the station name: St.Helens
(3rd station), Gerards
Bridge, Moss Bank,
Mill Lane, Rookery,
Rainford Junction (Ormskirk Platform),
Moss Level Crossing Halt, Skelmersdale
& Westhead Halt