Notes: Originally called Blague Gate the station was part of
what became the St. Helens to Ormskirk via Rainford Junction
line. The route was effectively made up of two different lines
that opened within a month of each other. The station was situated
on the Ormskirk to Rainford Junction line which was opened by
East Lancashire Railway on 1.3.1858. The other part of the line
ran from Rainford Junction to St. Helens and was opened by the
St. Helens Railway. Shortly after opening the Ormskirk to Rainford
section of the line became part of the Lancashire and Yorkshire
Railway. By 1864 the St. Helens Railway was part of the LNWR.
On 1.8.1874 the station was renamed as Skelmersdale. The station
had two platforms with brick built booking facilities on the
Northbound (Ormskirk) platform. For southbound (Rainford Junction)
passengers a wooden shelter very similar to those on the Rainford
Junction to St. Helens line was provided. At the stations north
end there was a level crossing controlled by a signalbox on
the east side of the tracks. From its opening it was served
by trains running between Ormskirk and Rainford Junction.
Three halts opened on the line south of the station at White
Moss (1907) and at Hey's (1911) and north of the station at
Westhead (1907). The halts opened to coincide with the commencement
by the L&Y of a railmotor service. This service provided
19 return trips per day. In 1923 the entire route became part
of the LMS but they continued to operate the same pattern of
service. Effectively anyone wishing to travel to St. Helens
had to change at Rainford Junction. The LMS however did replace
the Railmotor with a push pull locomotive and coaches.
By the mid 20th century passenger levels had declined and in
1951 the Rainford Junction to St. Helens line closed to passengers
and so did the three 1906 Railmotor halts. Skelmersdale continued
to be served by trains to Ormskirk and Rainford Junction until
5.11.1956. The line lingered on for goods services until 1964.
Today there is nothing left of the station or the line at Skelmersdale
much of the formation has been used to accommodate a road, aptly
named Railway Road.
Other web sites: Skelmersdale
local history archives - for further information on Skelmersdale
and the Rainford Junction - Ormskirk line
For other Stations on the St.
Helens - Ormskirk line click on the station name: St.
Helens (3rd station), Gerards
Bridge, Moss Bank,
Mill Lane, Rookery,
(St. Helens platform), Rainford
Junction (Ormskirk platform), Hey's
Crossing Halt, White
Moss Level Crossing Halt & Westhead