Station Name: BAGULEY

[Source: Paul Wright]
Date opened: 1.2.1866
Location: West side of Shady Lane
Company on opening: Cheshire Lines Committee
Date closed to passengers: 30.11.1964
Date closed completely: 30.11.1964
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Cheshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ797892
Date of visit: 20.2.2006

Notes: Baguley was opened by the Cheshire Lines Committee (CLC) on the 1.2.1866. It was located on the Stockport to Skelton Junction section of what became the Stockport to Glazebrook line. The line was originally proposed by the Stockport, Timperley & Altincham Junction Railway which became one of the constituent parts of the CLC on 5.7.1865.

The line gave access towards Liverpool via the Skelton Junction to Garston line. However this became part of the LNWR who were anything but helpful towards the CLC. The CLC therefore decided to progress towards building a route of their own from Skelton Junction to Liverpool. This they did and it opened to goods on 1.3.1873. The opening of this route completed the Stockport to Glazebrook line.

Baguley Station was mostly served by local trains operating from Stockport Tiviot Dale towards Liverpool Central with many workings going only as far as Warrington Central. From the very beginning express services to all parts of the country passed through the station. This increased further when the 'Liverpool Curve' opened 64 chains to the east of the Cheadle Station in 1902. This provided direct access to the Midland Railways main line to London.

Baguley Station had three platform faces and was provided with a substantial brick built station building on the Stockport platform. A brick built shelter was provided for Stockport direction passengers. A footbridge connected an island platform that catered for Liverpool direction trains to the main facilities on the Stockport Platform. The line remained part of the CLC until 1948 when it became part of the British Railways London Midland Region. Freight service were withdrawn from the station on 17.7.1963; the station continued to serve local services between Stockport Tiviot Dale and Liverpool Central until the 30.11.1964. 15.7.1963. After closure main line passenger services continued to pass through the station site until Liverpool Central closed to main line services in 1966.

Today the section of line through Baguley is still open for passenger services running between Manchester and Chester via Northwich and for a variety of goods services. There is a proposal to reopen Baguley as an interchange station for Metrolink if the extension to Wythenshawe is built, reintroducing an intermediate stop on this line for the first time in many years

The station has been completely demolished and apartment blocks occupy much of its location.

For pictures of the course of the Chorlton - Bredbury Railway in 2003 see the Closed South Manchester Railways web site

Route map drawn by Alan Young

To see the other stations on the Woodley - Glazebrook line click on the station name: Stockport Portwood, Stockport Tiviot Dale, Cheadle (Cheshire), Northenden, West Timperley, Partington (1st), Partington (2nd), Cadishead (1st) & Cadishead (2nd)


Baguley Station looking east in 1954



Looking west at the site of Baguley Station in February 2006
P
hoto by Paul Wright


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 04-Jun-2017 07:49:59 BST
© 1998-2004 Disused Stations