Station Name: NORTHENDEN

[Source: Paul Wright]
Date opened: 1.2.1866
Location: Between Sharston Road (B5168) and Longley Lane (B5166). The original road that served the station is lost in an industrial site.
Company on opening: Cheshire Lines Committee
Date closed to passengers: 30.11.1964
Date closed completely: 19.6.1965
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Cheshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ833892
Date of visit: 20.2.2006

Notes: Northenden was opened by the Cheshire Lines Committee (CLC) on the 1.2.1866. It was located on the Stockport to Skelton Junction section of what became the Stockport to Glazebrook line. The line was originally proposed by the Stockport, Timperley & Altincham Junction Railway which became one of the constituent parts of the CLC on 5.7./1865.

The line gave access towards Liverpool via the Skelton Junction to Garston line. However this became part of the LNWR who were anything but helpful towards the CLC. The CLC therefore decided to progress towards building a route of their own from Skelton Junction to Liverpool. This they did and it opened to goods on 1.3.1873. The opening of this route completed the Stockport to Glazebrook line.

Northenden Station was mostly served by local trains operating from Stockport Tiviot Dale towards Liverpool Central with many workings going only as far as Warrington Central. From the very beginning express services to all parts of the country passed through the station. This increased further when the 'Liverpool Curve' opened 64 chains to the east of the Cheadle Station in 1902. This provided direct access to the Midland Railways main line to London.

Northenden Station had two platforms and was provided with a substantial brick built station building on the Stockport platform. A brick built shelter was provided for Liverpool direction passengers. The line remained part of the CLC until 1948 when it became part of the British Railways London Midland Region. The station continued to serve local services between Stockport Tiviot Dale and Liverpool Central until the 30.11.1964. After closure main line passenger services continued to pass through the station site until Liverpool Central closed to main line services in 1966. Today the section of line through Northenden is still open for passenger services running between Chester and Manchester and for a variety of goods services.

For pictures of the course of the Chorlton - Bredbury Railway in 2003 see the Closed South Manchester Railways web site.

Route map drawn by Alan Young

To see the other stations on the Woodley - Glazebrook line click on the station name: Stockport Portwood, Stockport Tiviot Dale, Cheadle (Cheshire), Baguley, West Timperley, Partington (1st), Partington (2nd), Cadishead (1st) & Cadishead (2nd)



Northenden Station in c.1910
Photo received from Robert Barber



Northenden Station looking west in 1958


Looking west at the site of Northenden Station in February 2006
P
hoto by Paul Wright


Northenden Station in 1910


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 17-Jul-2012 05:55:41 BST
© 1998-2004 Disused Stations