Notes: West Timperley station was situated 59 chains to the west
of Skelton West Junction on the Cheshire Lines Railways (CLC)
Glazebrook to Stockport Tiviot Dale Line. The section of line
on which the station stood had opened from Cressington Junction
to Skelton Junction on 1.3.1873 for goods services with passenger
workings commencing on 1.8.1873. The line gave the CLC their own
route to Liverpool. Previously they had had to operate over LNWR
metals between Skelton Junction and Garston.
Partington was served by local trains running between Stockport
Tiviot Dale and Liverpool Central with some short workings going
only as far as Warrington Central. Express services to London
St. Pancreas and other destinations along with a steady stream
of goods workings passed through the station.
Situated on an embankment the station had two platforms which
linked to the road by slopes. Booking and waiting facilities where
located on the platforms with the main facilities on the Stockport
goods services until 1984 when
the bridge over the Manchester Ship Canal at Cadishead closed.
The line was cut back to Partington and singled. Goods services
operated along this section of line until the 10.10.1993. Today
the platforms at West Timperley are still extant and the single
line remains in situ.
||The station remained part of the Cheshire Lines Railway until
1948 when it became part of British Railways London Midland Region.
The station closed to passenger services on 30.11.1964. Regular
passenger trains continued to pass through the station site until
1966 when Liverpool Central closed to long distance services.
The line remained a busy route for
For pictures of the course of the Chorlton - Bredbury Railway
in 2003 see the Closed
South Manchester Railways web site.
Route map drawn by Alan Young
To see the other
stations on the Woodley - Glazebrook line click on the station
Tiviot Dale, Cheadle
(2nd), Cadishead (1st)
& Cadishead (2nd)