Notes: Partington (1st) station was situated on the Cheshire
Lines Railways (CLC) Glazebrook to Stockport Tiviot Dale Line.
The section of line on which the station stood had opened from
Cressington Junction to Skelton Junction on 1.3.1873 for goods
services with passenger workings commencing on 1.8.1873. The line
gave the CLC their own route to Liverpool. Previously they had
had to operate over LNWR metals between Skelton Junction and Garston.
Partington was served by local trains running between Stockport
Tiviot Dale and Liverpool Central with some short workings going
only as far as Warrington Central. Express services to London
St. Pancreas and other destinations along with a steady stream
of goods workings passed through the station.
In the 1890's the building of the Manchester Ship Canal necessitated
the diversion and raising up of a number of railway lines including
the Glazebrook to Stockport Tiviot Dale line. The line had to
be built up to a height that would allow sea going vessels to
pass underneath and so a deviation was constructed just to the
south of the original line which included a large single span
girder bridge to the north west of Partington (1st) station. For
a few weeks in 1893 both lines were in use but eventually the
original course of the line was split into two by the excavation
of the Manchester Ship Canal. Partington (1st) station closed
to passengers on the 29.5.1893 and a replacement opened on the
deviated line on the same day.
The course of the original route through Partington (1st) station
remained in use for many years as an access line to the Manchester
Ship Canal Companies own sidings.
Today the site of the station is inaccessible as it is occupied
by an industrial complex.
Route map drawn by Alan Young.
For pictures of the course of the Chorlton - Bredbury Railway
in 2003 see the Closed
South Manchester Railways web site
To see the other
stations on the Woodley - Glazebrook line click on the station
Tiviot Dale, Cheadle
Timperley, Partington (2nd), Cadishead
(1st) & Cadishead