Station Name: CALDY

[Source: Paul Wright]


Date opened: 1.5.1909
Location: On the north side of Croft Drive, east of its junction with Shore Road
Company on opening: Birkenhead Joint (Great Western Railway and London North Western Railway)
Date closed to passengers: 5.7.1954
Date closed completely: 5.7.1954
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Cheshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ218861
Date of visit: 8.4.2005

Notes: Caldy was opened by the GWR and LNWR to cater for growing residential development on the 1st February 1909. The station was situated on the Hooton to West Kirby branch which had opened north of Parkgate in 1886.

Caldy Station was situated on the north side of Croft Drive to the east of its junction with Shore Road. The station was on an embankment and it was provided with one wooden platform, the line being a single track branch, on the east side of the line. The station had a very simple single storey waiting room which was also a wooden construction but it did provide booking

facilities, male and female toilets and a waiting room. The station had no goods facilities.

At the time of opening passenger services mostly ran between Hooton and West Kirby with some services continuing on to Birkenhead Woodside. In the early days some long distance passenger services used the connection and excursion traffic used the connection at West Kirby onto the Wirral line. In later years the only significant through service was once a day when one or two coaches ran from New Brighton via Bidston to Hooton and Chester, where it was attached to a London Euston train; this ran until 1939.

One of the major users of the line were scholars travelling from stations along the route to the secondary schools in West Kirby. The line became uneconomical after WW1 with a further reduction in passenger traffic in 1927 when Neston Colliery closed but the line remained open serving a largely agricultural community and also day trippers visiting the sea side towns of Parkgate and West Kirby. 

In 1923 the line became GWR and LMS Joint but things continued as they had done previously. In 1948 the line became part of the British Railways (London Midland Region). In 1950 nine trains operated in each direction on weekdays with four on a Saturday. The Hooton to West Kirby line suffered from increasing road competition in the 1950s and

Caldy lost its passenger service on the 1st February 1954. Passenger services still passed through but not for long because on the 17th of September 1956 the branch closed completely to passenger services.

In 1961 newly introduced DMUs passed through Kirby Park station. However they were not for the use of passengers. The line was being used to train drivers in the use of the DMUs.

The line remained open for goods traffic until7th May 1962; the last train calling at Caldy to collect any remaining fixtures and fittings that were of any value. Early in 1964 the demolition gangs began their work and the line was lifted.

In 1968 the route of the Hooton - West Kirby Branch was chosen to create Britain's first country park the Wirral Country Park opening in 1973. The park forms the central section of Wirral Way, a 12 miles cycleway and foopath that follows the course of the railway between West Kirby and Hooton.

Tickets from Michael Stewart

To see the other stations on the Hooton - West Kirby line click on the station name:West Kirby, Kirby Park, Thurstaston, Heswall, Parkgate (2nd), Parkgate (1st), Neston South, Hadlow Road & Hooton


Caldy Station looking north west in August 1953
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection



1936 Ordnance Survey map

Caldy station site looking north west in April 2005. The platform would have been on stilts to the immediate right. The access road still exists and the yard is now a car park.
Photo by John Fogg

The track bed looking south east in 2005. This shows how high the line had to be raised to maintain the levels. Both rfecent pictures taken from the same location 180 degrees about.
Photo by John Fogg


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]



Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:12:46 BST
© 1998-2009 Disused Stations