Station Name: PARKGATE (1st site)

[Source: Paul Wright]


Date opened: 1.10.1866
Location: On the south side of Station Road.
Company on opening: GWR & LNWR Joint
Date closed to passengers: 19.4.1886
Date closed completely: 7.5.1962
Company on closing: GWR & LNWR Joint
Present state: Demolished, the station house still stands in private occupation.
County: Cheshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ283778
Date of visit: 9.8.2009

Notes: Parkgate 1st station was opened on the 1st October 1866 as part of the GWR and LNWR Joint Railway’s Hooton to Parkgate branch line. Hooton was located on the Joint Companies Birkenhead to Chester line which had opened in 1840. At the time of opening three stations were provided the other two being at Hadlow Road and at Neston.

Parkgate was a terminus station situated on the south side of the village on an embankment south of the Neston to Parkgate Road. A road led up to the platform from the Neston to Parkgate road. As the branch was built as a single track railway the station was provided with just one platform located on the west side of the line. A run around loop was provided so that the engine of an incoming train could take the same train back out again. The station was also provided with goods facilities including a number of sidings. A colliery branch also connected into the station. A Station Masters house was also provided at road level.


In 1884 work on an extension of the branch to West Kirby commenced. The course of the new line deviated from the original line a short distance to the south of the station and it passed it to the east crossing over the Neston to Parkgate Road by an overbridge. Work was completed on the extension by 1886. To avoid trains having to reverse out of Parkgate Station a new station was built on the north side of the Neston to Parkgate Road. This new station, also called Parkgate opened on the 19th of April 1886 and the original station closed. Parkgate 1st Station remained in use as a goods station. Until the 7th May 1962. Early in 1964 the demolition gangs began their work and the line was lifted.

In the early 1970s the route of the Hooton – West Kirby Branch was chosen to create Britain's first country park the Wirral Country Park. The site of Parkgate 1st Station is now a car park for the Country Park.

Tickets from Michael Stewart

To see the other stations on the Hooton - West Kirby line click on the station name:West Kirby, Kirby Park, Caldy, Thurstaston, Heswall, Parkgate (2nd), Neston South, Hadlow Road & Hooton


Looking north west along what would have been Parkgate 1st Stations single platform in August 2009. Since the 1970s the site has been used as a car park for the Wirral Country Park.
Photo by Paul Wright

1870s Ordnance Survey map shows the 1st station on the south side of Station Road

August 2009

August 2009

August 2009


click on thumbnail to enlarge

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]



Last updated: Monday, 22-May-2017 10:44:12 BST
© 1998-2009 Disused Stations