Station Name: SUNDERLAND CENTRAL
Still open but included for completeness

[Source: Alan Young]


Date opened: 4.8.1879
Location:

Junction of Brougham Street and Waterloo Place, in the city centre.

Company on opening: North Eastern Railway
Date closed to passengers:

Still open

Date closed completely: Still open
Company on closing:

Still open

Present state: Still open
County: Durham (now Tyne & Wear)
OS Grid Ref: NZ397570
Date of visit:  

Until 1879, when the Central station, opened there were three widely spaced passenger termini in Sunderland. The route from Gateshead (and, later, Newcastle) had its terminus at Monkwearmouth, to the north of the River Wear; trains from Durham via Leamside terminated at Fawcett Street, south of the Wear and close to the town centre; and finally trains from Seaham and the Hartlepools used a third terminus at Hendon, south of the river and close to the docks.

The decision was taken by the North Eastern Railway (NER) to concentrate all of the traffic on one station conveniently placed to serve the town (now city) centre, and the contract was let in November 1874 for the expensive project. South of Monkwearmouth station the new line crossed the River Wear then ran through a cut-and-cover tunnel to the somewhat cramped Central station within a cutting. On its opening in August 1879 the Fawcett Street and Hendon termini closed. However the former terminus at Monkwearmouth was retained, an opulent classically-styled station, which in Biddle’s (1973) words, ‘became a mere suburban station, stranded like some handsome ship in a breaker’s yard’.

In the late nineteenth century Sunderland was a railway hub of some importance. Routes radiated to South Shields, Newcastle, Durham (via Leamside), Durham Elvet (via Murton), Stockton (via Wellfield) and Seaham Harbour; in 1905 the direct coastal route to West Hartlepool and Middlesbrough was added.

Fawcett (2005) includes a detailed description of Sunderland Central station. It consisted of two island platforms beneath a 95ft-span arched roof springing from brick retaining walls. The constricted site limited the width of the platforms, so all of the passenger facilities, including waiting rooms, were to be found surrounding a large hall carried above the railway on arches. The original design for the station building disappointed Sunderland Town Council, and NER Architect William Bell was permitted a more generous budget to provide something more impressive. The result was the provision of a lofty two-storey range concealing the end of the hall, and a French Gothic clock tower, ‘garnished with tourelles at the clock stage and rising 118ft to the tip of the spire’. The Sunderland Daily Echo considered the station ‘a most attractive and, in many respects, imposing addition to the town’.

In Fawcett’s opinion Sunderland station was an accomplished design. However he notes that, for various reasons, the station had shortcomings. Passenger access to the platforms, booking facilities and parcels facilities proved inadequate, as did the ventilation of the platforms – when all trains were steam-hauled. The NER, as early as 1883, improved access by creating a second entrance onto a spacious bridge concourse within the trainshed, equipped with a wooden booking office and gently sloping ramps to the platforms. In 1895-7 further changes were made, described by Fawcett (2007).

The London & North Eastern Railway absorbed all of the NER lines and stations in 1923. In LNER ownership the glass was removed from the trainshed at an early stage of World War 2 as an air raid precaution. On 6 September 1940 the central part of the trainshed was hit in a bombing raid, and in another raid the parcels office was destroyed; the main buildings were not damaged. In 1944 the LNER decided to replace the damaged section of the trainshed with glass-and-steel verandahs, and in 1953 British Railways’ North Eastern Region - within whose area Sunderland had been since January 1948 – removed the rest of the trainshed and extended the earlier verandahs. The station did not receive totem signage, but instead the electric lights under the platform roofing had brick-shaped diffusers carrying the station name: Sunderland – not ‘Central’, the suffix rarely being used as this was the only principal station in the town. Some modest rebuilding of the south booking hall also took place in 1953. During WW2 Sunderland Corporation had held discussions with the LNER about the complete reconstruction of the station, but this was not accomplished until 1966 when BR(NE) demolished the surface buildings, including the distinctive clock tower.



The 1965-6 reconstruction gave Sunderland a dispiritingly bland entrance building, reflecting the new British Rail ‘Corporate Identity’ philosophy, and what Fawcett accurately describes as a ‘joyless dungeon’ at platform level, artificially lit beneath a steel and concrete deck with shops at ground level. Remarkably for a town of its size (over 200,000) by 1965 Sunderland had only one railway route passing through it - Newcastle to Middlebrough – and all passenger trains could be handled on the two faces of the eastern island platform. The western platform was retained for parcels traffic. The new entrance building on the south side of the station opened on 4 November 1965.

In 2002 Metro services from Pelaw were extended through Sunderland and onward to South Hylton, largely on the alignment of the former line from Leamside and Penshaw. The unique situation was in place for both light and heavy rail to share the same tracks and call at the same platforms; Northern Rail trains between Newcastle and Middlesbrough use the northern end of the island platforms’ two faces, while Metro trains use the southern end. Some ‘restoration’ of the station building was attempted, but at platform level the station remained one of the most unlovely in the country – rivalled by Birmingham New Street, similarly deprived of daylight.

Nexus, the operator of the Tyne and Wear Metro, announced a £7 million refurbishment platform areas at Sunderland in 2006 to be funded by the Department for Transport in a scheme in which the money ‘saved’ by reducing a subsidised local Northern Trains service in favour of Metro was converted into a lump sum for capital investment. Nexus does not own or manage the station - it is owned by Network Rail and managed by Northern - but wanted to invest as the major operator. Refurbishment began in January 2008 and was completed in July 2010. Nexus appointed Sadler Brown Architecture to develop the design, led by Arup Consulting Engineers which incorporated the work of three artists, Jason Bruges Studio, Julian Germain and Morag Morrison.
Jason Bruges Studio has created a 460ft light wall with individual LED units containing an animated display. Julian Germain is providing a sequence of 41 photographs of everyday items ‘lost’ in a Metro environment, while Morag Morrison is designing coloured glass wall panels for buildings along the island platform.The project also saw an entirely new floor, ceilings and lighting, substantial improvements to existing walls and significant reorganisation of buildings and waiting areas on the platforms.

ADDITIONAL SOURCE

Wikipedia -2006-10 redevelopment of the station

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE SUNDERLAND TO DURHAM (AND BISHOP AUCKLAND) VIA LEAMSIDE LINE

Despite its name the Durham & Sunderland Railway (D&S) – not via Leamside – never did reach Durham City. Its route from South Dock, Sunderland, extended through Murton to Haswell (where the Hartlepool Dock & Railway Company already had a terminus) which opened in 1836, with a branch from Murton through Hetton, Pittington and Sherburn House to Shincliffe, two miles south-east of the Durham City centre, which opened in 1839. The North Eastern Railway eventually diverted the line from Shincliffe to terminate in Durham at Elvet station in 1893.

In an Act of 27 July 1846 the Newcastle & Darlington Junction Railway (see ‘Old Main Line’ history) was authorised to build a line from Pensher (later known as Penshaw) to join the D&S Railway at Sunderland. The line was known as the Painshaw Branch (another variation on the spelling of Penshaw). From Sunderland as far as Penshaw the line followed the River Wear valley but its route was generally some distance from the river to avoid a meander near Hylton and to serve the communities which were growing south of the river. The line opened on 20 February 1852 for goods traffic and 1 June 1853 for passengers. The terminus in Sunderland was Fawcett Street station, which opened on the same day on the southern edge of the developing commercial centre of the town.

The Bishop Auckland branch from Leamside via Durham opened to passengers on 1 April 1857. Beyond Leamside, at Auckland Junction (later known as Leamside Junction) it swung westwards from the route to Ferryhill, crossed the River Wear on a viaduct, then sharply south-west to reach Durham City. The curious dog-leg in the route enabled the line to follow the intended course of the moribund YN&B project of 1848: see details in the section below on the ‘new’ main line. Durham City’s centre is densely built up on the narrow, steep-sided peninsula within a meander of the River Wear, dominated by the cathedral and castle; the railway did not enter this historically important area, but passed by to the north-west, where a substantial viaduct was necessary and the city’s station was found.

The Leamside – Bishop Auckland branch now provided an alternative route between Durham and Sunderland, far more convenient than via the Durham & Sunderland’s Shincliffe (for Durham) terminus – which was abandoned in 1893 when the D&S was re-routed to a terminus at Durham Elvet. On the day the Bishop Auckland branch was opened the branch from Belmont Junction to Durham Gilesgate closed to passengers: this had been opened by the N&DJ on 15 April 1844, providing the first station in Durham City.

From 1857 Leamside station enjoyed some importance as the de facto junction where trains to and from Sunderland and Durham connected with the services on London Kings Cross – Newcastle – Edinburgh main line. Fencehouses or Penshaw could equally have been awarded this status, but Leamside station, in its remote rural surroundings, was rebuilt with an island platform and bays at each end to accommodate the connecting services and allow convenient interchange by passengers. Its importance was short-lived and was suddenly removed when the new main line route between Ferryhill and Newcastle via Durham opened in 1872. Leamside station was now an extravagance, with little local population to serve; conversely the splendid Durham viaduct, originally serving only the Leamside – Bishop Auckland branch, was now a prominent feature of the main line providing a vantage point from which millions of passengers would be able to admire Durham and its cathedral.



In Sunderland the inconvenient gap between Monkwearmouth, the terminus of trains from Newcastle and South Shields on the north bank of the River Wear, and the lines from the south was closed in 1879 when in the ‘Monkwearmouth Junction’ project a bridge over the river and a tunnel under the town centre were constructed together with a new station known either as Sunderland (or Sunderland Central). From August 1879 Fawcett Street station closed and trains on the Durham line ran into the new station. The Central station also replaced the Hendon terminus, formerly used by trains to Seaham and West Hartlepool.

As with most lines in northern County Durham the Sunderland – Durham route carried large quantities of goods and mineral traffic, notably coal. Several collieries were directly linked to the line, and there were branches into shipyards and Deptford staiths on the Wear as well as to the Hudson, Henson and South docks on the coast.
Expecting that coal exports from Sunderland’s South Dock would increase, the North Eastern Railway and local authorities jointly funded the construction of the Queen Alexandra Bridge, to carry both rail and road traffic in the manner of High Level Bridge between Gateshead and Newcastle. The NER paid £325,000 (including railway approaches) while Sunderland Corporation contributed £146,000 and Southwick Council a further £11,000. The new bridge and associated lines would enable coal from the ex-Stanhope & Tyne line to reach South Dock, eliminating reversals at Washington and Penshaw, using instead a mineral line from Southwick Junction (between Washington and Boldon) over the new Queen Alexandra Bridge, then the Sunderland – Durham line from Diamond Hall Junction (just west of Millfield station). The bridge opened in 1909, but from the NER perspective it was a financial disaster since it apparently carried one coal train per day until the early 1920s when regular traffic ceased.



Passenger services on the Sunderland – Durham line remained frequent. However from the 1920s motor buses began to provide a more intensive service and linked the numerous mining villages and towns in north-east Durham. The ‘Old Main Line’ south of Leamside lost its passenger services in 1941. On the Sunderland – Durham route, apart from the very early loss of Frankland station, between Leamside and Durham, in 1877, casualties began with Leamside in 1953, followed by Millfield in inner Sunderland in 1955. Diesel multiple units replaced steam haulage on the route during 1957.

Further economies were exercised when Pallion and Penshaw were downgraded to ‘staffed halts’ and Cox Green became an ‘unstaffed halt’ on 14 August 1961. Passenger traffic censuses in summer 1962 and winter 1962-3 showed a respectable level of use on Monday-to-Friday of Hylton and Pallion stations, but limited traffic at the other stations, notably Cox Green. The Reshaping of British Railways (‘Beeching’) report of March 1963 recommended the withdrawal of passenger services between Sunderland, Durham and Bishop Auckland - as well as the services between Newcastle and Washington - and the official proposal of closure was published on 19 July 1963. Not a single objection was lodged to the Washington closure, which took place on 9 September 1963. BR must have been unprepared for the lack of resistance to this closure as a timetable for Usworth and Washington stations appeared in the winter 1963-4 North Eastern Region book. On 28 February 1964, having considered objections to the Sunderland – Durham – Bishop Auckland proposals, Ernest Marples, Minister of Transport, consented to the closure, and services were officially withdrawn on 4 May 1964.

The author was blissfully unaware of this development, and alighted from a Newcastle train at Durham on 15 May to catch the Sunderland train, only to be informed that the last one had gone! He decided to travel on to Darlington and Middleton-in-Teesdale instead – which was still open.

Goods services ceased between Leamside (Auckland Junction) and Durham (Newton Hall Junction) and at Finchale siding (Frankland) on 22 October 1964. The tracks into the former Fawcett Street terminus in Sunderland, which had continued as a goods facility reached from the Durham line, were severed on 3 October 1965. Goods services were retained between Penshaw and Sunderland until 21 August 1967 when they were discontinued west of Hylton Quarry sidings. In 1971 the line from Pallion to Ford paper works at Hylton was singled and ceased to be signalled when the factory closed, but Dolomite from Hylton Quarry continued to be carried until 1976 when the line was cut back to Pallion; it was officially taken out of use on 20 November 1976. The remainder of the line to Hendon, including Deptford Johnson Siding closed to goods on 27 November 1984. The section of the ‘Old Main Line’ which the Sunderland – Durham services shared between Penshaw Junction and Auckland Junction continued in goods use for some years more, but was ‘mothballed’ in 1991 and closed in 2012.

Sources and bibliography:

Tickets from Michael Stewart. Bradshaw from Chris Totty. Route maps drawn by Alan Young.

To see other stations on the Old Main Line click on the station name: Felling 2nd, Felling 3rd , Felling 1st, Pelaw 1st, Pelaw 3rd, Pelaw 4th , Pelaw 2nd, Usworth, Washington 2nd, Washington 1st, Penshaw 1st, Penshaw 2nd, Fencehouses, Rainton, Rainton Meadows (on branch), Leamside 1st, Leamside 2nd, Belmont Junction, Durham Gilesgate (on branch), Sherburn Colliery, Shincliffe & Ferryhill

See also Coxhoe (branch frpm Ferryhill)

See also: Springwell, Brockley Whins (1st site), Brockley Whins (2nd site)
& Boldon (route prior to 1850)

See also Sunderland and Durham (via Leamside):
Durham (still open), Frankland, Cox Green, South Hylton , Hylton, Pallion 1st, Pallion 2nd , Millfield 2nd, Millfield 1st, Millfield 3rd & Sunderland Fawcett Street (on branch)


Station still open as part of the Tyne & Wear metro


An advance perspective of Sunderland’s new central station, seen from the north-west. The dominance of the French Gothic clock tower is apparent.


1897 1:2,500 OS map. Sunderland (Central) station opened in 1879 to replace three termini, one of which – Fawcett Street – was just south of this map. The route required excavation through the town centre, and was narrow to keep disruption and costs to a minimum. The section north of the new station was covered over to create a tunnel, and the station was concealed under the substantial buildings squeezed in between Union Street, Station Street and High Street West and, to the south, beneath a trainshed. Sunderland South signal box can be seen amidst the trackwork east of Waterloo Place, and south of Holmeside Bridge the Penshaw branch curves sharply to the west while the route to Seaham (extended to West Hartlepool in 1905) heads southwards. Between them is a goods dock.

The main hall of Sunderland station looking north in LNER days. The arches on the left gave access to the area in front of the original booking windows, before the booking office was re-sited to the far end of the hall, on the right. As seen here, the hall was whitewashed in its later years. Note to the left of the exit a weighing machine for figure-conscious passengers with time – and a penny - to spare; to its right is another machine, possibly one that allowed passengers to print out metal labels.

Sunderland station is notable for being confined in a deep and narrow cutting, with space for only two island platforms on which all traffic has to be handled. This view southwards in 1938 captures the cavernous quality of the place, with beams of light penetrating the glazed trainshed to illuminate patches of the platforms. Ramps leading to the south concourse on Athenæum Street
can be seen in the distance.
Photo from John Mann collection


At 01.13 hours on 6 September 1940 Sunderland station took a direct hit by two high explosive bombs leaving a crater 30ft across and 15ft deep. The blast was so violent that a carriage was lifted clear off the rails and thrown across the platform. Another part of a carriage was hurled across the street, wrecking the frontage of a long-established toy shop.

A southbound stopping passenger train enters Sunderland in April 1952. Following serious damage by bombing in World War II the LNER replaced a section of the trainshed with steel-and-glass awnings, and BR(NE) platform number signs have been hung from them. Beyond these awnings part of the trainshed is still in place, but it would be removed the following year. The locomotive is 0-4-4T No.67263, a Worsdell-designed G2 built for the NER in 1896 at Darlington works. It carried the number 1866 until re-numbering by the LNER in 1946 to 7263. The loco was withdrawn from 53B, Hull Botanic Gardens shed in October 1958 and broken up a month later at Darlington.
Copyright photo by HC Casserley

Sunderland station looking south in August 1962. The steel-and-glass platform verandahs were constructed between 1944 and 1953 to replace the overall roof which had suffered bomb damage in World War II. British Railways did not  provide totem signage, but instead the electric lights under the platform roofing have brick-shaped diffusers carrying the station name. A BR(NE) running-in nameboard is suspended from the verandah to the left. The large quantities of sacks and parcels awaiting collection on both island platforms will be noted.
Copyright photo from Stations UK

In this view looking north towards Sunderland station in June 1963 the early 1950s southern entrance block in the blandest of styles can be seen beyond Sunderland South signal box. In the distance is the station’s distinctive French Gothic clock tower. A southbound Class 1 express passenger train in crimson livery is being hauled by 60086, a Gresley-designed A3 Pacific named ‘Gainsborough’. Built at the Doncaster works of the LNER, it entered service on 7 April 1930 at Gateshead shed numbered 2597 and was re-numbered in 1946 to 86. Withdrawn from Neville Hill shed on 18 November 1963, it was broken up at Darlington works by the end of that year.
A 1Co-Co (later Class 40) diesel hauling a passenger service southbound into Sunderland in 1964. Reconstruction of the station is underway, with much of the platform area temporarily opened up to full daylight. In the background a remnant of the former trainshed can be seen, and the distinctive clock tower still rises above the tall booking hall.
Photo from John Mann collection

Demolition of the main 1879 block of Sunderland station is in progress in 1966 revealing the pale gable end of the former booking hall beneath the stump of the partly dismantled clock tower.

Looking south at Sunderland in March 1987.
Photo by John Mann

In April 1988 passengers at Sunderland eagerly await the arrival of a northbound DMU for Newcastle. All of the passenger traffic of this town (later city) of 250,000 people is handled on the two faces of one island platform. This section of platform still has an awning installed in late LNER or early BR days, and some hanging baskets bring a little joy to the scene.
Photo by Alan Young

In April 2003 the southern frontage of Sunderland station is seen, looking north-west.
Photo by Alan Young


Click here for more pictures of Sunderland Central station


 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]




Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 10:06:35 BST
© 1998-2013 Disused Stations