Station Name: BARTON MOSS (1st site)


[Source: Bevan Price & Paul Wright]

Date opened: By September 1831 (or maybe earlier as Reids Farm)
Location: A farm track passing Birch Farm stops at the railway line, Barton Moss Station was sited to the east of this point.
Company on opening: Liverpool and Manchester Railway
Date closed to passengers: 1.5.1862
Date closed completely: by 29.10.1842
Company on closing: London & North Western Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SJ721977
Date of visit: 8.7.2006

Notes: Barton Moss (1st Station) was one of the original passenger stations of George Stephenson's Liverpool and Manchester Railway the world's first railway to cater for passengers as one of its primary functions. It was also arguably the worlds first inter city railway. When the line first opened on the 15th September 1830 no details exist of the initial intermediate stops and Walkers accurate description of the line at the time of opening says that fares for intermediate stops had not been settled implying that initially there might not have been any stops.

The earliest known company timetable is 1st March 1831, this did not show times at intermediate stops but did list stops in fare tables. The company minutes of 26th September 1832 did give a full list but no further list was given until January 1846.

There were many early changes of stopping place and name so the early history of intermediate stops is patchy. At first trains stops at, for example, level crossings where the gatekeeper issued tickets; perhaps a room in his cottage was available as a shelter. In 1841 platforms and nameboards were added to stations lacking them. Many of the stations consisted of little more than a basic cottage.

The company timetable of 1st March 1931 includes a Reids Farm Station, this may be an early name for Barton Moss or perhaps Barton Moss replaced it on a different site. Barton Moss is listed by September 1831 but has closed by November 1832 in favour of nearby Lambs Cottage but is back in the company timetable by 19th October 1839.

Early timetables show the first Barton Moss station to be located 23¾ miles from Liverpool Lime Street. The early wayside stopping places on Chat Moss had no platforms. The station would have been served by local trains running between the two cities or on shorted journeys. A steady stream of express and goods services would have passed through.

Barton Moss was replaced on 1.5.1862 by a 2nd station located ¾ mile further east, adjacent to the present Barton Moss level crossing.

There is currently no road access to the site, but an unnamed track terminates at Birch Farm (originally Barton Moss Farm), a short distance south of the railway (OS Explorer Map 276), and this was probably once an access route to the station.

Click here for a detailed history of the Edge Hill cutting and tunnels, including pictures inside the 1829 Crown Street Tunnel

Further reading: Liverpool & Manchester Railway Operations 1831 - 1845 by Thomas J Donaghy
David & Charles 1972 ISBN 0 71535705 0

To see the other closed stations on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway click on the station name: Liverpool Crown Street, Huyton Quarry, Lea Green, Collins Green, Parkside 1st, Parkside 2nd, Kenyon Junction, Glazebury and Bury Lane, Flow Moss, Astley, Lambs Cottage, Barton Moss 2nd, Weaste, Seedley, Cross Lane, Ordsall Lane, Manchester Liverpool Road


The site of the first Barton Moss Station looking east towards Manchester
from the north side of the line.
Photo by Bevan Price

This 1849 map shows the first Barton Moss Station

The site of Barton Moss Station on a 1952 map. Lambs Cottage Station was on the far left between the two spurs of the industrial tramway and the later Barton Moss Station can be seen to the right. A number of other industrial lines are seen to the south of the main line,
these were probably for peat cutting.

Click on thumbnail to enlarge




[Source: Bevan Price & Paul Wright]

Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 04-Jun-2017 09:24:31 CEST
© 1998-2006 Disused Stations