Station Name: PARKSIDE (2nd site)

[Source: Bevan Price & Paul Wright]

Date opened: 1839
Location: Just east of Parkside East Junction. The site can be reached from a farm track running east from A573 and running parallel to the line.
Company on opening: Liverpool and Manchester Railway/North Union
Date closed to passengers: 1.5.1878
Date closed completely: 1.5.1878
Company on closing: London & North Western Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SJ609956
Date of visit: 1980

Notes: In 1839 the original Parkside Station was replaced with more substantial facilities than the original station which was nothing more than a small trackside cottage. The new station was 17 chains further east than the first Parkside station, and the move was required for the opening of the line from Parkside North Union Junction to Preston. North Union Junction is now Parkside East Junction.

As the 19th Century progressed locomotive designs improved and engines were easily able to make the run from Liverpool to Manchester without having to take on more water. Also in 1847 a west to north curve was created to the Wigan line which meant that trains from the Liverpool and Grand Junction Railway could now progress north without calling at Parkside. In addition to these factors Parkside was located in quite a remote location and so it closed to goods on 1.2.1877 and to passengers on 1.5.1878

The 1949 Ordnance Survey map shows the new station which opened in 1839 but it also still shows the original station as a 'luggage station' indicating that the original station remained in use for luggage.

To see the other closed stations on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway click on the station name: Liverpool Crown Street, Huyton Quarry, Lea Green, Collins Green, Parkside 1st, Kenyon Junction, Glazebury and Bury Lane, Flow Moss, Astley, Lambs Cottage, Barton Moss 1st, Barton Moss 2nd, Weaste, Seedley, Cross Lane, Ordsall Lane, Manchester Liverpool Road


The second Parkside Station in 1848

The second Parkside Station shown on this 1849 map. The original station is still shown as a 'luggage station'.


This 1952 map clearly shows the memorial at the site of the first Parkside Station and a similar sized structure at the site of the second station.


Parkside station looking east c. early 1930s. At this time the old station building
was a private dwelling.
Photo received from Charles Snape (his father was born and raised in the house)


The site of the second Parkside Station looking east in 1980. The station was towards the rear of the train just beyond the junction.
Photo by Bevan Price

 

 

 

[Source: Bevan Price & Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Friday, 11-Jun-2010 22:05:56 BST
© 1998-2012 Disused Stations