Station Name: COLLINS GREEN

 

[Source: Bevan Price & Paul Wright]



Date opened: The line opened 15.9.1830 but Collins Green didn't appear in company timetable until 1.3.1831.
Location: East side of Penkford Lane (B5204)
Company on opening: Liverpool and Manchester Railway
Date closed to passengers: 2.4.1951
Date closed completely: 2.4.1951
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SJ560943
Date of visit: 1980 & 16.8.2006

Notes: Collins Green was one of the original passenger stations of George Stephenson's 1830 Liverpool and Manchester Railway the world's first railway to cater for passengers as one of its primary functions. It was also arguably the worlds first inter city railway. When the line first opened on the 15th September 1830 no details exist of the initial intermediate stops and Walkers accurate description of the line at the time of opening says that fares for intermediate stops had not been settled implying that initially there might not have been any stops.

The earliest known company timetable is 1st March 1831, this did not show times at intermediate stops but did list stops in fare tables. The company minutes of 26th September 1832 did give a full list but no further list was given until January 1846.

There were many early changes of stopping place and name so the early history of intermediate stops is patchy. At first trains stops at, for example, level crossings where the gatekeeper issued tickets; perhaps a room in his cottage was available as a shelter. Many of the stations consisted of little more than a basic cottage. In 1841 platforms and nameboards were added to stations lacking them.

Situated close to the historic Sankey Viaduct the station consisted of two platforms linked by a footbridge. Typical LNWR style wooden booking and waiting facilities where located on each platform. The station would have been served by local trains running between the two cities or on shorted journeys. A steady stream of express and goods services would have passed through.

The 1830 Liverpool to Manchester line is still a busy railway but over the years many of its intermediate stations, including Collins Green have closed to passengers. Collins Green was closed on the 2nd April 1951.

Click here for a detailed history of the Edge Hill cutting and tunnels, including pictures inside the 1829 Crown Street Tunnel

Further reading: Liverpool & Manchester Railway Operations 1831 - 1845 by Thomas J Donaghy
David & Charles 1972 ISBN 0 71535705 0

To see the other closed stations on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway click on the station name: Liverpool Crown Street, Huyton Quarry, Lea Green, Parkside 1st, Parkside 2nd, Kenyon Junction, Glazebury and Bury Lane, Flow Moss, Astley, Lambs Cottage, Barton Moss 1st, Barton Moss 2nd, Weaste, Seedley, Cross Lane, Ordsall Lane, Manchester Liverpool Road

 

The site of Collins Green Station looking east in 1980
P
hoto by Bevan Price



Looking west from Collins Green Station in August 2006
Photo by Paul Wright

Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Bevan Price & Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:12:46 BST
© 1998-2006 Disused Stations