Notes: Ordsall Lane Station was situated on George Stephenson's
famous Notes: Cross Lane Station was situated on George Stephenson's
and Manchester Railway the world's first railway to cater
for passengers as one of its primary functions. It was also
arguably the worlds first inter city railway. When the line
first opened on the 15th September 1830 no details exist of
the initial intermediate stops and Walkers accurate description
of the line at the time of opening says that fares for intermediate
stops had not been settled implying that initially there might
not have been any stops.
The earliest known company timetable is 1st March 1831, this
did not show times at intermediate stops but did list stops
in fare tables. The company minutes of 26th September 1832 did
give a full list but no further list was given until January
There were many early changes of stopping place and name so
the early history of intermediate stops is patchy. At first
trains stops at, for example, level crossings where the gatekeeper
issued tickets; perhaps a room in his cottage was available
as a shelter. In 1841 platforms and nameboards were added to
stations lacking them. Many of the stations consisted of little
more than a basic cottage.
The line opened on 15th September 1830 but Ordsall Lane didn't
appear in the company timetable although L & M records state
that there was intermittent early use of the station. This ceased
after the opening of Manchester Victoria in 1844 but reopened
for setting down after a local petition. The station was fully
open from 1.8.1849 although it didn't appear in Bradshaw until
March 1850 with a westbound only service shown. By June 1854
a two way service is listed although there is no eastbound timetable.
A footnote shows it acting as a two way junction station for
the South Junction line.
Initially the station would have been a fairly basic affair
but by the end of the 19th Century it had developed into a large
station facility with five platform faces. The station closed
to passengers on the 4.2.1957. Its platforms where certainly
still intact at the time of a railtour visit in April 1966 although
all buildings had been demolished.
In April 1988 a new rail link called the Windsor Link was opened.
This link allowed trains from the Preston and Bolton lines to
go forward to Manchester Piccadilly rather than Manchester Victoria.
The new link joined the original Liverpool and Manchester Railway
at the site of Ordsall Lane station substantially altering the
for a detailed history of the Edge Hill cutting and tunnels,
including pictures inside the 1829 Crown Street Tunnel
Further reading: Liverpool & Manchester Railway Operations
1831 - 1845 by Thomas J Donaghy
David & Charles 1972 ISBN 0 71535705 0
To see the other
closed stations on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway click
on the station name: Liverpool
Crown Street, Huyton
Quarry, Lea Green,
Parkside 1st, Parkside
and Bury Lane, Flow
Moss, Astley, Lambs
Moss 1st, Barton
Moss 2nd, Weaste,
Lane & Manchester