[Source: Bevan Price & Paul Wright]

Date opened: The line opened 15th September 1830 but Bury Lane didn't appear in company timetables until 1st March 1831
Location: West side of Warrington Road (A574)
Company on opening: Liverpool and Manchester Railway
Date closed to passengers: 7.7.1958
Date closed completely: 7.7.1958
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SJ674969
Date of visit: 8.7.2006

Notes: Opened as Bury Lane this station was one of the original passenger stations of George Stephenson's 1830 Liverpool and Manchester Railway the world's first railway to cater for passengers as one of its primary functions. It was also arguably the worlds first inter city railway. When the line first opened on the 15th September 1830 no details exist of the initial intermediate stops and Walkers accurate description of the line at the time of opening says that fares for intermediate stops had not been settled implying that initially there might not have been any stops.

The earliest known company timetable is 1st March 1831, this did not show times at intermediate stops but did list stops in fare tables. The company minutes of 26th September 1832 did give a full list but no further list was given until January 1846.

There were many early changes of stopping place and name so the early history of intermediate stops is patchy. At first trains stops at, for example, level crossings where the gatekeeper issued tickets; perhaps a room in his cottage was available as a shelter. Many of the stations consisted of little more than a basic cottage. In 1841 platforms and nameboards were added to stations lacking them.

Certainly by the end of the 19th Century Bury Lane had been developed into a two platform station with staggered platforms and fairly simple LNWR style wooden booking and waiting facilities. It was renamed as Glazebury and Bury Lane in July 1878.

From the beginning the station would have been served by local trains running between the two cities or on shorted journeys. A steady stream of express and goods services would have passed through.

The 1830 Liverpool to Manchester line is still a busy railway but over the years many of its intermediate stations, including Glazebury and Bury Lane have closed to passengers. Glazebury and Bury Lane was closed on the 7.7.1958.

Click here for a detailed history of the Edge Hill cutting and tunnels, including pictures inside the 1829 Crown Street Tunnel

Further reading: Liverpool & Manchester Railway Operations 1831 - 1845 by Thomas J Donaghy
David & Charles 1972 ISBN 0 71535705 0

To see the other closed stations on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway click on the station name: Liverpool Crown Street, Huyton Quarry, Lea Green, Collins Green, Parkside 1st, Parkside 2nd, Kenyon Junction, Flow Moss, Astley, Lambs Cottage, Barton Moss 1st, Barton Moss 2nd, Weaste, Seedley, Cross Lane, Ordsall Lane, Manchester Liverpool Road


The disused Glazebury & Bury Lane Station in 1963 looking west
Photo by Keith Jones

This 1952 map clearly shows the memorial at the site of the first Parkside Station and a similar sized structure at the site of the second station.

The site of Glazebury & Bury Lane Station looking west (Manchester platform) in July 2006. Taken from a similar viewpoint to the picture above.
Photo by Bevan Price

Click on thumbnail to enlarge




[Source: Bevan Price & Paul Wright]

Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 09:30:13 CEST
© 1998-2006 Disused Stations