Station Name: CROSS LANE

 

[Source: Bevan Price & Paul Wright]



Date opened: Line opened 15th September 1830 but Cross Lane didn't appear in company timetables till 1.3.1831
Location: Originally on the west side of Cross Lane, now beneath the roundabout and the junction of the M602/A57/A5063
Company on opening: Liverpool and Manchester Railway
Date closed to passengers: 2.1.1956
Date closed completely: 2.1.1956
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SJ814982
Date of visit: 8.7.2006

Notes: Cross Lane Station was situated on George Stephenson's famous Liverpool and Manchester Railway the world's first railway to cater for passengers as one of its primary functions. It was also arguably the worlds first inter city railway. When the line first opened on the 15th September 1830 no details exist of the initial intermediate stops and Walkers accurate description of the line at the time of opening says that fares for intermediate stops had not been settled implying that initially there might not have been any stops.

The earliest known company timetable is 1st March 1831, this did not show times at intermediate stops but did list stops in fare tables. The company minutes of 26th September 1832 did give a full list but no further list was given until January 1846.

There were many early changes of stopping place and name so the early history of intermediate stops is patchy. At first trains stops at, for example, level crossings where the gatekeeper issued tickets; perhaps a room in his cottage was available as a shelter. In 1841 platforms and nameboards were added to stations lacking them. Many of the stations consisted of little more than a basic cottage.

The station was open by 1831 and at that time probably consisted of very basic facilities. By the end of the 19th century the line had been quadrupled at this point and the station was provided with platforms on all four lines.

The station was closed to passengers on the 20.7.1959 but remained open for the delivery of livestock until 1.1.1963. In the 1980's the M602 motorway was constructed and much of the station site is occupied by its infrastructure. The line has once again been reduced to double track with only the two former fast lines surviving. There is no evidence of there ever having been a station here.

Click here for a detailed history of the Edge Hill cutting and tunnels, including pictures inside the 1829 Crown Street Tunnel

Further reading: Liverpool & Manchester Railway Operations 1831 - 1845 by Thomas J Donaghy
David & Charles 1972 ISBN 0 71535705 0

To see the other closed stations on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway click on the station name: Liverpool Crown Street, Huyton Quarry, Lea Green, Collins Green, Parkside 1st, Parkside 2nd, Kenyon Junction, Glazebury and Bury Lane, Flow Moss, Astley, Lambs Cottage, Barton Moss 1st, Barton Moss 2nd, Weaste, Seedley, Ordsall Lane, Manchester Liverpool Road

 


Site of westbound fast line platform at Cross Lane, looking east towards Manchester in July 2006. The platform continued as far as the brick overbridge (formerly part of Cross Lane) near the centre of the photo
Photo by Bevan Price



Looking west in July 2006. Just beyond the bridge was an island platform serving the eastbound fast line and the westbound slow line.
Photo by Bevan Price



 

 

 

[Source: Bevan Price & Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:12:45 BST
© 1998-2006 Disused Stations