Station Name: BARTON MOSS (2nd site)

 

[Source: Bevan Price & Paul Wright]



Date opened: 1.5.1862
Location: East of the level crossing on Barton Cross Road (bridleway/farm track)
Company on opening: London & North Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 23.9.1929
Date closed completely: 23.9.1929
Company on closing: London & North Western Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SJ734979
Date of visit: January 2006 & July 2006

Notes: Opened on the historic Liverpool and Manchester Railway of 1830 Barton Moss replaced an earlier station that had been located further to the west. The station would have been a fairly simple affair consisting of two platforms and basic waiting facilities. The station was located in a sparsely populated area on the east side of a level crossing. It was a very early closure in 1929.

To see the other closed stations on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway click on the station name: Liverpool Crown Street, Huyton Quarry, Lea Green, Collins Green, Parkside 1st, Parkside 2nd, Kenyon Junction, Glazebury and Bury Lane, Flow Moss, Astley, Lambs Cottage, Barton Moss 1st, Weaste, Seedley, Cross Lane, Ordsall Lane, Manchester Liverpool Road

 

The site of the westbound platform (beyond the crossing) at the second Barton Moss Station looking east in January 2006
Photo by Bevan Price

This 1949 map shows the second Barton Moss Station. The tramways to the south of the line were for peat extraction.

Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Bevan Price & Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 04-Jun-2017 08:24:31 BST
© 1998-2006 Disused Stations