Station Name: FALLODON
[Source: Alan Young]
The signal box, level crossing and down platform at the private Fallodon station, looking north-west c1910. The signalman is standing proudly at the top of the steps of the brick-built signal box: many of the NER boxes on this line were constructed of stone. The N&B station building is in the background.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection
1867 1:2,500 OS map. Fallodon station is named, but with no indication that it is private. The main building on the west (down) platform has a forecourt only yards away from the tree-lined drive to Fallodon Hall; East Lodge stands at the entrance to the drive. The east (up) platform has a smaller waiting shed.
1897 1: 2,500 OS map. Fallodon station is now, correctly, indicated as ‘Private’. Since the earlier revision of the map, a siding has been laid south of the level crossing, on the up side, and a signal box (not named) has been added on the down side, again south of the crossing. The grounds of Fallodon are now shown to be wooded.
1923 1: 2,500 OS map. Little has changed since 1897 but ‘Private’ has been removed from the station name even though it was still exclusively for the use of the Grey family, their servants and guests.
1957 1: 10,560 OS map. Fallodon station ceased to be used in 1934, yet this map published 23 years later gives no indication either that it was private or that it has closed. The main building, west of the railway, is still shown, but the waiting shed is not; the shed was never shown on OS maps of this scale. Some of the woodland in the grounds of Fallodon Hall has been cleared.
Fallodon station building in 1906, shortly before the upper-storey extension was constructed. Details of the structure including the verandah, quoins, window surrounds, raised gables, ball finials and chimneystacks are shown clearly on the Tudor/Jacobean building constructed for the Newcastle & Berwick Railway in 1847.
Drawing by John Addyman from 'North Eastern Express' No.140, November 1995
Fallodon station, looking north-west c1930. Although it was always a private station, the North Eastern Railway provided one of its standard running-in nameboards. The station building is unmistakably of Newcastle & Berwick Railway origin. The sandstone ashlar structure has canted bay windows on the ground floor; the pitched slate roofs have raised gables, with decorative ball finials placed on the apex of the gables and on the kneelers at either end of the gables; and stately chimneystacks complete the composition. The coiled serpent bench and the oil lanterns are typical features of NER stations. The purpose of the lever beneath the nameboard is not known.
Photo from Henry Wilson Books collection
Considering that Fallodon station has been closed to all traffic for over 20 years, this photograph from 1958 shows it to be in a remarkably good state of repair. In this view north from the level crossing the two platforms are in place, and both the station building on the down (left) platform and the waiting shelter on the opposite platform have survived. The two buildings are typical of the Newcastle & Berwick Railway station architecture, and their complementary design and location directly facing one another make for a pleasing composition. The Newcastle architect Benjamin Green designed the fine ‘Jacobethan’-style buildings for the company’s stations, and here at Fallodon the facilities were suitably dignified to cater for the exacting requirements of the Grey family and their guests. In the distance, to the right of the railway, the railway cottages at Brunton Crossing can be seen.
Copyright photo from Stations UK
In June 1960 A2 Pacific ‘Hycilla’ draws a train of Pullman stock south through Fallodon. The station which stood beyond the crossing appears to have been demolished, but the NER signal box remains in place. The Thompson-designed 4-6-2 locomotive was built at the LNER Doncaster works in November 1946. She was withdrawn from 50A, York North shed, on 12 November 1962 and was cut up at Doncaster works in April 1963.
Photo from Jim Lake collection
Looking north from the level crossing towards the site of the private Fallodon station in September 1978. The platforms, station building and waiting shelter were demolished early in the 1960s. The only building is a platelayers’ hut, immediately south of the site of the up platform ramp. The crossing gates were replaced with automatic half-barriers over ten years before the date of this photograph.
Photo by John Mann
A Class 221 Super Voyager northbound express is passing the site of the private Fallodon
station in May 2009.
Photo by Roy Lambeth
Looking north from the level crossing at Fallodon in May 2009. The up (east) platform of the former station was between the first and second posts supporting the electric wires. Nothing remains of the station today.
Photo by Roy Lambeth