Notes: The first Heaton station stood in a cutting on the double track shared by the East Coast main line and the Newcastle & North Shields route. A precise opening date has not been traced, but an advertisement placed in Newcastle Journal on 15 May 1841 by the Newcastle & Shields Railway gives the train timetable commencing 24 May, and this includes ‘Heaton Hall Lane’ as one of the stations; no other reference has been found to Heaton station by this name.
There were two platforms approximately 100 yd in length. The principal building stood on the down (NW) platform, facing a smaller building on the up platform. When it opened the station stood in a rural location, the nearest village being Byker Hill, about ¼ mile to the east, but during the later decades of the 19th century the terraces of the residential suburb of Heaton began to fill the fields on both sides of the railway. Although the NER authorized a new station in 1861 the first station was not replaced until 1887 when the track was quadrupled between Manors and Heaton Junction, and the second station was constructed on an adjacent site to the west of Heaton Road. The first station was presumably erased by the widening works.
See Heaton History Group web site
Click here for a brief history of the East Coast Main Line
Further reading: Young, Alan Suburban Railways of Tyneside (Pub: Martin Bairstow 1999). Young, Alan Railways of Northumberland (Pub: Martin Bairstow 2003).
See other ECML stations:Tweedmouth, Scremerston, Goswick, Beal, Smeafield, Crag Mill, Belford, Lucker,
Newham, Fallodon, Little Mill, Longhoughton,Lesbury, Warkworth, Longhirst, Ashington Colliery Junction, Morpeth, Stannington, Plessey, Annitsford (1st), Annitsford (2nd), Killingworth, Forest Hall, Heaton (2nd), Durham, Croft Spa, Eryholme, Otterington, Alne & Tollerton