Station Name: LUCKER
[Source: Alan Young]
.Some construction or maintenance work is in progress at Lucker c1900-14. This view looking north-west from the goods loading bank includes the NER signal box, the level crossing and the enormous N&B station building. A small brick-built structure is immediately beyond the crossing; it is not indicated on the 1897 OS map and its purpose is not known
Photo from Philip Hodgetts from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders private Facebook group
1867 1: 2,500 OS map. The station stands alone in the countryside, the village of Lucker being about half-a-mile southwest. The passenger facilities are north-west of the level crossing, with the station building on the south-west (down) platform and a waiting shelter on the opposite platform. The coal depot is served by sidings behind the down passenger platform, and the weigh office (WM=Weighing Machine) is nearby. The goods facilities are on the up side, south-east of the level crossing. No goods shed is provided.
1897 1: 2,500 OS map. The signal box is now shown immediately south-east of the level crossing on the down side of the railway. A pair of semidetached railway cottages has been built south of the station building, but no other habitation has appeared in the vicinity.
1924 1: 2,500 OS map. Little has changed since the map of a quarter of a century earlier. Another railway cottage has been added to the two shown on the previous map, and a building has appeared in the coal depot area behind the cottages. The railway facilities remain in splendid isolation, no housing, commerce or industry having been attracted by the presence of the station.
This and the picture above are the only photographs discovered so far which depict Lucker station while it was open, and this is on a postcard sent in July 1908. The forecourt of the station is shown clearly, with the substantial station building in the ‘Jacobethan’ style dominating the scene. Its smooth, coursed stonework, decorated gables and tall chimneystacks can be enjoyed. The single-storey sections at right angles to the two-storey structure are more in keeping with vernacular cottage architecture. The presence of a horse and awkwardly loaded cart, attended by a cloth-capped man, seems to have attracted some onlookers. The stone-built waiting shed on the up platform is visible on the right; it has been closed in with timber and glass by the North Eastern Railway.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection
Lucker Troughs are seen in August 1955 with Class A1 No.60152 ‘Holyrood’ travelling north. The troughs were installed between Lucker and Belford stations in March 1898 to enable locomotives of express trains to take up water while travelling at speed, rather than spending idle time at a station using a water crane. With the demise of steam haulage in the 1960s the troughs were taken out of use on 18 August 1969 and subsequently dismantled. The Peppercorn-designed 4-6-2 locomotive was built at the BR(NE) Darlington works in July 1949 and was initially based at 64B, Haymarket shed in Edinburgh. She was withdrawn on 21 June 1965 from 50A, York North shed, to be cut up the following August by Cashmores, Great Bridge.
Photo from J W Armstrong Photographic Trust
Lucker station looking north-west from the level crossing in 1958, five years after it had closed to passengers. The enormous ‘Jacobethan’ station building on the down platform is one of the finest designed by Benjamin Green for the Newcastle & Berwick Railway, and this lavish provision was required by a covenant made between the controller of the Newcastle & Berwick Railway, George Hudson, and the Duke of Northumberland. It combines the pair of projecting wings, found on a number of the N&B stations, with the central projecting bay windows and gable seen at Chathill and Stannington, resulting in a building of great dignity. On the up platform the stone wall of the waiting shelter can be seen, with a lamp standard and empty lantern cradle and a signal post in the foreground. We are fortunate that the photographer visited just in time to record the platforms (which probably were removed in 1959) and the buildings which were demolished in 1960.
Copyright photo from Stations UK
Lucker station looking south from the remains of the up platform, c1959. The down goods train is passing the signal box. Both platforms have been demolished but the station building, whose south-eastern wing is visible, is still in place – but for not much longer.
Demolition of the main building is in progress in July 1960, as an unidentified ‘Type 4’ English Electric diesel loco (later Class 40) hauls an up train through the Lucker station. The NER N1-style signal box – and the signalman - are seen in the left foreground.
Photo by Ken Hoole / NERA
Demolition of the fine station building at Lucker is under way in July 1960. This view is northward from the station forecourt. The single-storey section has already been removed: its imprint can
be seen far left.
Photo by Ken Hoole / NERA
Lucker crossing gates and signal box on the down side of the tracks, looking south c1970. The N1-design box was constructed by the North Eastern Railway in 1873 and was to close in 1978, shortly after the gates were replaced with barriers.
Looking north-west at the site of Lucker station c1971. The site of the down platform is on the left, and a short section of its back wall can be seen. On the right, the up platform has also been demolished.
Photo by John Mann
On 19 May 2009 A4 Pacific (4-6-2) No.60007 ‘Sir Nigel Gresley’ has just surprised the photographer by appearing at Lucker level crossing, hauling a single coach southwards. The derelict goods loading bank is behind the loco. The Gresley-designed locomotive was built at the LNER’s Doncaster works in November 1937, and it first carried the number 4498 but was later renumbered ‘7’. After nearly 30 years of prestige main line service she was withdrawn from 61B, Aberdeen Ferryhill shed, on 1 February 1966. The loco is owned by the Sir Nigel Gresley Preservation Group and has worked on heritage and main line railways.
Photo by Roy Lambeth
The site of Lucker station is seen in this view looking north-west from the level crossing in May 2009/
Photo by Roy Lambeth
The former goods loading bank is still in place south-east of the level crossing on the up side of the main line tracks at Lucker station, but it has been colonised by vegetation. Goods traffic ceased in June 1965 and this photograph was taken in May 2009.
Photo by Roy Lambeth