Station Name: BALLAUGH

 

[Source: Paul Wright]



Date opened: 23.9.1879
Location: East side of A10
Company on opening: Manx Northern Railway
Date closed to passengers: 6.9.1968
Date closed completely: 6.9.1968
Company on closing: Isle of Man Railway
Present state: The station building has been demolished but a goods shed and goods platform/cattle dock still survive.
County: Isle of Man
OS Grid Ref: SC347936
Date of visit: 17.7.2006

Notes: Ballaugh Station opened on the 23.9.1879 as part of the Manx Northern Railways St John’s to Ramsey line. In common with other Manx Northern stations that opened with the line Ballaugh station had a substantial sandstone station building that was situated on the east side of the station site. The station was situated on the north side of the road from Ballaugh to the coast which crossed the line by a level crossing.

Ballaugh Station was provided with a passing loop from its opening but this was extended over the level crossing in 1883. The station was also provided with a goods loop and sidings situated on its west side. The station did not have raised platforms. Instead track was ballasted up to rail level which was a common feature on the Isle of Man network.



Initially train services operated to St John’s and Ramsey with some services going on to Douglas via the Isle of Man Railways Douglas to Peel line. Some shorter services operated through the station running between Kirk Michael and Ramsey. On the 19.4.1905 the Manx Northern Railway was taken over by the Isle of Man Railway and from then on many more services went directly to Douglas from Ballaugh.

The Manx Railway system was very busy well into the second half of the 20th century but by the 1950’s traffic levels began to decline as less holidaymakers visited the island and road transport competition started to make its presence felt.

The St John’s to Ramsey line and all of its stations, including Ballaugh closed completely on the 13th November 1965. The line and Ballaugh Station re-opened to passenger services in 1967 but closed again on the 6th September 1968 this time for good. The line passing through Ballaugh was used for a freight service of oil

tanks until October1969 after which all traffic ceased. The line was lifted in 1974.

Today a footpath and cycleway pass through the site which has been made into a local park. The station building has been demolished but the goods shed and a cattle ramp still survive.

Further reading: Isle of Man Classic Steam by Robert Robotham published by Colourpoint 1998. Old colour photographs of the Isle of Man Railways - ISBN 1 898392 43 9
Douglas to Ramsey by Tom Heavyside - Middleton Press 2004 - ISBN 978 1 904474 39 5
Isle of Man Railways Vol. 1 Pre 1873 - 1904, Vol 2 1905 - 1994 & Vol. 3 by J I C Boyd - the definitive history of the Isle of Man railways - Oakwood Press.

Click here for a comprehensive list of books, magazines and videos about the Isle of Man railways.

Other web sites: Narrow Gauge Heaven - includes old colour photographs

Click here for a brief history of the Isle of Man Railways

To see other stations on the St. Johns - Ramsey line click on the station name:
St. Johns, Peel Road, St. Germain's, Gob-y-Deigan, West Berk Level Crossing,
Kirkmichael, Bishops Court, Ballavolley Halt, Sulby Glen, Sulby Bridge, Lezayre & Ramsey


Ballaugh Station in 1960
Photo by H. Stevenson





Unusually an earlier OS map incorrectly shows Ballaugh Station on the west side of the road.



No. 8 Fenella at Ballaugh with a Douglas - Ramsey train in August 1964. The station building can be seen on the left before the level crossing.
Photo by D J Mitchell, copyright Colour-Rail




Ballaugh Station in September 1966, 10 months after closure
P
hoto by Roger Shimmin


Looking east at the site of Ballaugh Station in July 2006. The platform on the left is the goods platform and cattle dock.
P
hoto by Paul Wright





Click on thumbnail to enlarge



 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 04-Jun-2017 07:58:31 BST
© 1998-2007 Disused Stations