Station Name: SULBY BRIDGE

[Source: Paul Wright]

Date opened: 23.9.1879
Location: West side of the A17.
Company on opening: Manx Northern Railway
Date closed to passengers: 6.9.1968
Date closed completely: 6.9.1968
Company on closing: Isle of Man Railway
Present state: Station building still extant and in use as a private residence.
County: Isle of Man
OS Grid Ref: SC393948
Date of visit: 18.7.2006

Notes: Sulby Bridge Station opened on the 23.9.1879 as part of the Manx Northern Railways St John’s to Ramsey line. In common with other Manx Northern stations that opened with the line Sulby Bridge station had a substantial sandstone station building that was situated on the south side of the station site. The station was situated on the west side of the road from Andreas to Sulby Bridge (the present A17) which crossed the line by a level crossing.

Sulby Bridge Station was provided with a passing loop from its opening and up to the early 1960s it had a goods siding. The station did not have raised platforms. Instead track was ballasted up to rail level which was a common feature on the Isle of Man network.



Initially train services operated to St John’s and Ramsey with some services going on to Douglas via the Isle of Man Railways Douglas to Peel line. Some shorter services operated through the station running between Kirk Michael and Ramsey. On the 19.4.1905 the Manx Northern Railway was taken over by the Isle of Man Railway and from then on many more services went directly to Douglas from Sulby Bridge.

The Manx Railway system was very busy well into the second half of the 20th century but by the 1950’s traffic levels began to decline as less holidaymakers visited the island and road transport competition started to make its presence felt.

The St John’s to Ramsey line and all of its stations, including Sulby Bridge closed completely on the 13th November 1965. The line and Ballaugh Station re-opened to passenger services in 1967 but closed again on the 6th September 1968 this time for good. The line passing through Sulby Bridge was used for a freight service of oil tanks until October1969 after which all traffic ceased. The line was lifted in 1974. Today the station building can still be seen as it is in use as a private residence.

Further reading: Isle of Man Classic Steam by Robert Robotham published by Colourpoint 1998. Old colour photographs of the Isle of Man Railways - ISBN 1 898392 43 9
Douglas to Ramsey by Tom Heavyside - Middleton Press 2004 - ISBN 978 1 904474 39 5
Isle of Man Railways Vol. 1 Pre 1873 - 1904, Vol 2 1905 - 1994 & Vol. 3 by J I C Boyd - the definitive history of the Isle of Man railways - Oakwood Press.

Click here for a comprehensive list of books, magazines and videos about the Isle of Man railways.

Other web sites: Narrow Gauge Heaven - includes old colour photographs

Click here for a brief history of the Isle of Man Railways

To see other stations on the St. John's - Ramsey line click on the station name:
St. Johns, Peel Road, St. Germain's, Gob-y-Deigan, West Berk Level Crossing,
Kirkmichael, Bishop's Court, Ballaugh, Ballavolley Halt, Sulby Glen, Lezayre & Ramsey


Sulby Bridge Station in 1960
Photo by H C Casserley







No. 10 G H Ward at Sulby Bridge with a St. John's to Ramsey train in June 1968
Photo copyright Colour-Rail




Sulby Bridge Station looking west in July 2006
P
hoto by Paul Wright


Sulby Bridge Station looking west in July 2009
P
hoto by John and Carol Ainley


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 10:06:31 BST
© 1998-2009 Disused Stations