Station Name: GOB-Y-DEIGAN HALT

[Source: Nick Catford]



Date opened: 13.7.1887
Location: 200 yards west of the A3 - no road access
Company on opening: Manx Northern Railway
Date closed to passengers: Not known
Date closed completely: Not known
Company on closing: Isle of Man Railway
Present state: Demolished - no evidence remains
County: Isle of Man
OS Grid Ref: SC286875
Date of visit: 21.5.2010

Notes: A very short lived halt for excursions for picnickers was opened at Gob-y-Deigan and was first used on 13th July 1887. There is no record of its last use. The halt was at a remote location with no road access. It was provided with a waiting shelter.

Further reading: Isle of Man Classic Steam by Robert Robotham published by Colourpoint 1998. Old colour photographs of the Isle of Man Railways - ISBN 1 898392 43 9
Douglas to Ramsey by Tom Heavyside - Middleton Press 2004 - ISBN 978 1 904474 39 5
Isle of Man Railways Vol. 1 Pre 1873 - 1904, Vol 2 1905 - 1994 & Vol. 3 by J I C Boyd - the definitive history of the Isle of Man railways - Oakwood Press.

Click here for a comprehensive list of books, magazines and videos about the Isle of Man railways.

Other web sites: Narrow Gauge Heaven - includes old colour photographs

Click here for a brief history of the Isle of Man Railways

To see other stations on the St. Johns - Ramsey line click on the station name:
St. Johns, Peel Road, St. Germain's, West Berk Level Crossing,
Kirkmichael, Bishop's Court, Ballaugh, Ballavolley Halt, Sulby Glen, Sulby Bridge, Lezayre & Ramsey


Gob-y-Deigan Halt in the 19th century


Gob-y-Deigan Halt is not shown on any maps and has been inserted here in its assumed position

No. 14 Thornhill with a Ramsey bound train passing through the site of Gob-y-Deigan Halt in July 1955
Photo by S. S. Nash

Looking north at the site of Gob-y_Deigan halt in May 2010. Originally a small hut had stood on the east side of the line.
P
hoto by Paul Wright

Looking south from the site of Gob-y-Diegan Halt in May 2010. The location on the top of cliffs is highly scenic which is why a halt was opened at such a remote location.
Photo by Paul Wright




 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 08:30:54 BST
© 1998-2007 Disused Stations