Station Name: LEZAYRE

 

[Source: Paul Wright]



Date opened: 23.9.1879
Location: West side of an unnamed minor road
Company on opening: Manx Northern Railway
Date closed to passengers: 1958
Date closed completely: 1958
Company on closing: Isle of Man Railway
Present state: Station building still extant in use as a private dwelling.
County: Isle of Man
OS Grid Ref: SC421949
Date of visit: 18.7.2006

Notes: Lezayre Station opened on the 23.9.1879 as part of the Manx Northern Railways St John’s to Ramsey line. Lezayre station was provided with a sandstone station building that was situated on the south side of the station site. The station was situated on the west side of the road from Glenduff to Garey which crossed the line by a level crossing. Only a single line passed through the station site which did not have a raised platform. Instead track was ballasted up to rail level which was a common feature on the Isle of Man network. From 1884 until 1926 there was a short siding to the north of the running line.

Initially train services operated to St John’s and Ramsey with some services going on to Douglas via the Isle of Man Railways Douglas to Peel line. Some shorter services operated through the station running between Kirk Michael and Ramsey. On the 19.4.1905 the Manx Northern Railway was taken over by the Isle of Man Railway
and from then on many more services went directly to Douglas from Lezayre. Due to its isolated position Lezayre Station was downgraded to a request stop from 1908.

The Manx Railway system was very busy well into the second half of the 20th century but by the 1950’s traffic levels began to decline as less holidaymakers visited the island and road transport competition started to make its presence felt.

In 1950 Lezayre Station was removed from the timetables but trains continued to stop and amazingly tickets where still issued. The station ceased to be request stop in 1958 and officially closed. However tickets where still issued up to 1961.

The St John’s to Ramsey line and all of its remaining stations closed completely on the 13th November 1965. The line and Lezayre Station re-opened to passenger services in 1967 but closed again on the 6th September 1968 this time for good. The line passing through Lezayre was used for a freight service of oil
tanks until October1969 after which all traffic ceased. The line was lifted in 1974. Today the station building is still extant and in use as a private residence.

Further reading: Isle of Man Classic Steam by Robert Robotham published by Colourpoint 1998. Old colour photographs of the Isle of Man Railways - ISBN 1 898392 43 9
Douglas to Ramsey by Tom Heavyside - Middleton Press 2004 - ISBN 978 1 904474 39 5
Isle of Man Railways Vol. 1 Pre 1873 - 1904, Vol 2 1905 - 1994 & Vol. 3 by J I C Boyd - the definitive history of the Isle of Man railways - Oakwood Press.

Click here for a comprehensive list of books, magazines and videos about the Isle of Man railways.

Other web sites: Narrow Gauge Heaven - includes old colour photographs

Click here for a brief history of the Isle of Man Railways

To see other stations on the St. John's - Ramsey line click on the station name:
St. Johns, Peel Road, St. Germain's, Gob-y-Deigan, West Berk Level Crossing,
Kirkmichael, Bishop's Court, Ballaugh, Ballavolley Halt, Sulby Glen, Sulby Bridge& Ramsey


Lezayre Station looking east in 1961
Photo by H Stevenson







No. 5 Mona at Lezayre in July 1967
Photo by D J Mitchell, copyright Colour-Rail




Lezayre Station in July 2006
P
hoto by Paul Wright


Lezayre Station in July 2006
P
hoto by Paul Wright



 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 13:30:50 BST
© 1998-2007 Disused Stations