Station Name: ST. GERMAIN'S

 

[Source: Paul Wright]



Date opened: 23.9.1879
Location: North side of the A4.
Company on opening: Manx Northern Railway
Date closed to passengers: 7.1961
Date closed completely: 7.1961
Company on closing: Isle of Man Railway
Present state: Station building still extant and in use as a private residence
County: Isle of Man
OS Grid Ref: SC271855
Date of visit: 19.7.2006

Notes: St Germain’s opened on the 23.9.1879 as part of the Manx Northern Railways St John’s to Ramsey line.

In common with other Manx. Northern stations that opened with the line St Germains was station had a substantial sandstone station building that was situated on the east side of the station site. The station was on the north side of the road from Kirk Michael to Peel (today’s A4) which crossed the line by a level crossing.

Initially only a single track passed through the station site which did not have raised platforms. Instead track was ballasted up to rail level which was a common feature on the Isle of Man network.

Shortly after opening a passing loop was provided along with a goods siding. The passing loop was removed in the early 1890’s only to be reinstated in 1926.

Initially train services operated to St John’s and Ramsey with some services going on to Douglas via the IOMR's Douglas to Peel line. On the 19.4.1905 the Manx Northern Railway was taken over by the Isle of Man Railway and from then on many more services went directly to Douglas from St Germain’s.


The Manx Railway system was very busy well into the second half of the 20th century but by the 1950’s traffic levels began to decline as less holidaymakers visited the island and road transport competition started to make its presence felt. By the late 1950’s the passing loop and the siding had been lifted and once again the station reverted to having only a single track passing through.

Due to lack of traffic St Germain’s station closed to passengers in July 1961 although it was not unknown however for locals to board and alight at St Germain’s Station well after this date. Presumably these people where locals known to the railway staff. The line passing through St Germain’s was closed completely on

the 13th November 1965. It re-opened to passenger services in 1967 but closed again on the 6th September 1968 this time for good. The line passing through St Germain’s was used for a freight service of oil tanks until October1969 after which all traffic ceased. The line was lifted in 1974 and
today a footpath and cycleway pass through the site.

Further reading: Isle of Man Classic Steam by Robert Robotham published by Colourpoint 1998. Old colour photographs of the Isle of Man Railways - ISBN 1 898392 43 9
Douglas to Ramsey by Tom Heavyside - Middleton Press 2004 - ISBN 978 1 904474 39 5
Isle of Man Railways Vol. 1 Pre 1873 - 1904, Vol 2 1905 - 1994 & Vol. 3 by J I C Boyd - the definitive history of the Isle of Man railways - Oakwood Press.

Click here for a comprehensive list of books, magazines and videos about the Isle of Man railways.

Other web sites: Narrow Gauge Heaven - includes old colour photographs

Click here for a brief history of the Isle of Man Railways

To see other stations on the St. Johns - Ramsey line click on the station name:
St. Johns, Peel Road, Gob-y-Deigan, West Berk Level Crossing,
Kirkmichael, Bishops Court, Ballaugh, Ballavolley Halt, Sulby Glen, Sulby Bridge, Lezayre & Ramsey


No. 10 G H Wood passes through St. Germain's Station with a Ramsey to Douglas service in 1968
Photo by D J Mitchell, copyright Colour-Rail








St. German Station looking north in August 1982
Photo by Tim Stevens




St. German Station looking north in July 2006
P
hoto by Paul Wright





Click on thumbnail to enlarge



 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:10:28 BST
© 1998-2007 Disused Stations