Station Name: BROUGHTON & BRETTON

 

[Source: Paul Wright]

Date opened: 14.8.1849
Location: On the south side of a roundabout on Chester Road (A5104)
Company on opening: Mold Railway Company
Date closed to passengers: 30.4.1962 (used by workmen until 2.9.1963)
Date closed completely: 4.5.1964
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Station building and Chester platform waiting shelter still extant although the trackbed has been infilled between the platforms and all evidence of the platforms has gone. The station in use as veterinary practice.
County: Flintshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ350643
Date of visit: 21.05.2005

Notes: Broughton & Bretton Station opened in 1849 as part of the Mold Railway Companies double track line from Saltney Ferry near Chester to Mold. When opened the station was Called Broughton but it was renamed by the LNWR in April 1861 to Broughton Hall. It received another name change on 1.7.1908 to Broughton and Bretton. The line was extended to Denbigh Junction on 12.9.1869 by the LNWR and it would become known as the Chester to Denbigh line.

Although this line could never be described as a main line it did host regular passenger services between Corwen, Ruthin, Denbigh, Mold and Chester although by the early 1960's the only service to operate was the all stations Chester General to Denbigh and Ruthin service which usually consisted of only two coaches.

Broughton closed to regular passenger services on 28.4.1962 but it remained in use for a workmen's train service from Chester to serve the nearby aircraft factory until 2.9.1963
Today the station buildings are still standing and they are in use as a veterinary practice.

To see the other stations on the Chester - Denbigh line click on the station name: Saltney Ferry, Kinnerton,
Hope & Pen-y-ffordd, Hope Low Level, Padeswood & Buckley, Llong, Mold, Rhydymwyn, Star Crossing, Nannerch, Caerwys, Bodfari, & Denbigh


Broughton & Bretton Station looking south west in the early 1960's
P
hoto by Dave Nicholas




Looking north-east towards Broughton & Bretton station in 1962. The A549 road can be seen in the foreground crossing the line by means of a level crossing. The station is seen beyond the crossing. A Ruthin train prepares to depart from the station.
Copyright photo from Stations UK

Broughton & Bretton Station looking south west in March 1978
P
hoto by Alan Young

Broughton & Bretton Station looking north east in March 1978
Photo by Alan Young


Broughton & Bretton Station in May 2005 - the main station building to the tight and the waiting shelter to the left.
P
hoto by Paul Wrght

The main station building at Broughton & Bretton in May 2005
P
hoto by Paul Wright


The waiting shelter on the Chester line in May 2005
P
hoto by Paul Wright

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 04-Jun-2017 09:04:06 BST
© 1998-2012 Disused Stations