Notes: Caerwys Station was opened by the Mold & Denbigh Junction
Railway on 6.9.1869 as part of its line linking Mold to Denbigh.
From the outset services were operated by the LNWR who by this
time owned the Chester to Mold line which had an end on connection
to the Mold & Denbigh Junction line at Mold. The line retained
its independence until the Railways Act of 1921 when it became
part of the LMS.
The station was located about a mile east of the village of Caerwys.
Its main station building was located on the Chester platform.
The station was one of the busiest on the line and had substantial
facilities for goods services of which timber was an important
source of revenue.
Although this line could never be described as a main line it
did host regular passenger services between Corwen, Ruthin, Denbigh,
Mold and Chester although by the early 1960's the only service
to operate was the all stations Chester General to Ruthin service
which usually consisted of only two coaches.
Caerwys Station closed on 28.4.1962 and it is still standing
today as a timber yard office.
To see the other
stations on the Chester - Denbigh line click on the station name:
& Bretton, Kinnerton,
Low Level, Padeswood
& Buckley, Llong,