Station Name: SALTNEY FERRY

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Date opened: 1.6.1891
Location: On the west side of Saltney Ferry Road (B5129)
Company on opening: London & North Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 30.4.1962
Date closed completely: 30.4.1962
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Flintshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ368652
Date of visit: 21.05.2005

Notes: Saltney Ferry station opened on 1.1.1891 and was part of the LNWR Saltney near Chester to Denbigh line. Strictly speaking this station was on the Chester to Holyhead main line as it was situated to the east of Mold Junction the point at which the Denbigh line diverged. At this point the main line consisted of four tracks and the station was located on the slow lines. It only ever catered for Denbigh line trains. The station had a single island platform accessed by steps from the Saltney Ferry Road overbridge.

Although this line could never be described as a main line it did host regular passenger services between Corwen, Ruthin, Denbigh, Mold and Chester although by the early 1960's the only service to operate was the all stations Chester General to Denbigh and Ruthin service which usually consisted of only two coaches.

Saltney Ferry station stood next to Mold Junction Motive Power Depot (MPD) and it would have been a busy location with railwaymen coming and going. However it closed to passengers on 30.4.1962 and nothing of its platform remains. The MPD that stood next to the station is still standing.

To see the other stations on the Chester - Denbigh line click on the station name: Broughton & Bretton, Kinnerton,
Hope & Pen-y-ffordd, Hope Low Level, Padeswood & Buckley, Llong, Mold, Rhydymwyn, Star Crossing, Nannerch, Caerwys, Bodfari, & Denbigh

 

The site of Saltney Ferry Station in May 2005. Seen from the Saltney Ferry Road overbridge
P
hoto by Paul Wright



The site of Saltney Ferry Station in May 2005 - the strip of land beyond the tracks
P
hoto by Paul Wright


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:10:21 BST
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations