Station Name: HOPE & PEN-Y-FFORDD

 

[Source: Paul Wright]
Date opened: 14.8.1849
Location: On the east side of Vounog Hill
Company on opening: Mold Railway Company
Date closed to passengers: 30.4.1962
Date closed completely: 30.4.1962
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: The main station building still extant and in use as a private residence.
County: Flintshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ303615
Date of visit: 1.5.2005

Notes: Hope & Pen-y-ffordd station opened in 1849 as part of the Mold Railway Companies double track line from Saltney near Chester to Mold. Upon opening it was known simply as Hope. The line was extended to Denbigh Junction on 12.9.1869 by the LNWR and it would become known as the Chester to Denbigh line. Pen-y-fford was added to the name on 16.1.1912

Although this line could never be described as a main line it did host regular passenger services between Corwen, Ruthin, Denbigh, Mold and Chester although by the early 1960's the only service to operate was the all stations Chester General to Denbigh and Ruthin service which usually consisted of only two coaches.

Freight services were withdrawn from Hope and Pen-y-ffordd from 5th September 1955. Hope & Pen-y-fford Station was situated in Pen-y-fford Village to the east of a level crossing over the original A550 (today there is a bypass). After closure the station building survived in use as a private dwelling which it remains to the present time. One interesting feature is the signal post complete with signals in the garden which can easily be seen from the road a;though probably not in its original position.

To see the other stations on the Chester - Denbigh line click on the station name: Saltney Ferry, Broughton & Bretton, Kinnerton,
Hope Low Level, Padeswood & Buckley, Llong, Mold, Rhydymwyn, Star Crossing, Nannerch, Caerwys, Bodfari, & Denbigh


Hope and Pen-y-ffordd Station looking west in the early 1960's. Note the ARP signalbox.
P
hoto by Dave Nicholas



The station forecourt at Hope and Pen-y-ffordd Station in May 2005
P
hoto by Paul Wright

The old signal is clearly visible from the road although probably not in its original position
P
hoto by Paul Wright

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:10:39 BST
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations