Station Name: PADESWOOD & BUCKLEY

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Date opened: October 1850 (first appeared in timetable)
Location: On the east side of an unnamed minor road 200 yards south of its junction with
Company on opening: Mold Railway Company
Date closed to passengers: 6.1.1958
Date closed completely: 6.1.1958
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: The stationmaster's house is still extant. The cutting in which station was located has been filled in.
County: Flintshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ275623
Date of visit: 1.5.2005

Notes: Padeswood & Buckley station opened in 1850 as part of the double track line from Saltney near Chester to Denbigh. When opened it was known as Padeswood. The line was extended to Denbigh Junction on 12.9.1869 by the Mold & Denbigh Junction Railway and it would become known as the Chester to Denbigh line. Buckley was added to the station name on 1.2.1894

Although this line could never be described as a main line it did host regular passenger services between Corwen, Ruthin, Denbigh, Mold and Chester although by the early 1960's the only service to operate was the all stations Chester General to Denbigh and Ruthin service which usually consisted of only two coaches.

Freight facilities were withdrawn from 6.8.1956 and the station closed on 6.1.1958 with passenger services on the line following in 1962. However the line continued in use to serve a chemical factory just to the west of Mold until March 1983 but by this time it was connected into the former GCR Bidston to Wrexham line close to the site of Hope Low Level. This last remnant of the Chester - Denbigh line was lifted in the summer of 1985.

To see the other stations on the Chester - Denbigh line click on the station name: Saltney Ferry, Broughton & Bretton, Kinnerton,
Hope & Pen-y-ffordd, Hope Low Level, Llong, Mold, Rhydymwyn, Star Crossing, Nannerch, Caerwys, Bodfari, & Denbigh

 

Only the stationmaster's house remains in May 2005
P
hoto by Paul Wright



Padeswood & Buckley Station was sited in a cutting which has now been infilled.
The site seen in May 2005
P
hoto by Paul Wright



 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Monday, 22-May-2017 10:42:42 BST
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations