Station Name: RHYDYMWYN

[Source: Paul Wright]

Date opened: 6.9.1869
Location: On the south side of A541
Company on opening: Mold & Denbigh Junction Railway
Date closed to passengers: 30.4.1962
Date closed completely: 4.5.1964
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Station buildings are still extant although the track bed between the platforms has been infilled and the edge stones used in garden walls. On the opposite side of the road part of the crossing gates can still be found in the undergrowth.
County: Flintshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ207668
Date of visit: October 1994 & 21.5.2005

Notes: Rhydymyn was opened by the Mold & Denbigh Junction Railway on 12.9.1869 as part of its line linking Mold to Denbigh. From the outset services were operated by the LNWR who by this time owned the Chester to Mold line which had an end on connection to the Mold & Denbigh Junction line at Mold. The line retained its independence until the Railways Act of 1921 when it became part of the LMS.

During WW2 a siding served the Valley Works a mustard gas production and shell filling factory at Rhydymwyn.

The station was located to the east of a level crossing in the village of Rhydymyn. Its main station building was located on the Denbigh platform and a waiting shelter was provided on the Chester Platform. Although this line could never be described as a main line it did host regular passenger services between Corwen, Ruthin, Denbigh, Mold and Chester although
by the early 1960's the only service to operate was the all stations Chester General to Ruthin service which usually consisted of only two coaches.

Rhydymwyn Station closed on 28.4.1962 and it is still standing today as a private residence which can clearly be seen from the A541.

To see the other stations on the Chester - Denbigh line click on the station name: Saltney Ferry, Broughton & Bretton, Kinnerton,
Hope & Pen-y-ffordd, Hope Low Level, Padeswood & Buckley, Llong, Mold, Star Crossing, Nannerch, Caerwys, Bodfari, & Denbigh


Rhydymwyn Station looking north on April 1967. The occasion was the visit of the RCTS Wrexham, Mold & Connah's Quay Railway Rail Tour. Although closed as through route in 1962 stone trains still ran to Rhydymwyn at this time and there were sidings to the south that served the Valley Works.
Photo by Ted Baxendale from the Kerry Parker Flickr photostream




Rhydymwyn Station looking south in March 1978. Track was still in situ at this time but there was no traffic on the line beyond a factory that was located to the west of Mold.
Photo by Alan Young

Rhydymwyn Station in October 1994
Photo by Nick Catford

Rhydymwyn Station forecourt in May 2005
Photo by Paul Wright

Rhydymwyn Station - waiting shelter on the Chester platform seen in April 2005
Photo by John Fogg

1990

2005

2005

2005


Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 28-Oct-2012 08:57:25 GMT
© 1998-2012 Disused Stations